What kit do I need?

  gengiscant 14:01 08 Jul 2009

I have a mainly wired network 3 PC's and a wireless laptop.
I also dabble in PC repair and used to plug the PC into my router.I have just moved my router to a position nearer the main telephone input and noticed a dramatic increase in speed coupled with an I box.
I have connected the 3 wired PC no probs,but with the router so far away from my workbench and I don't want to run another long cable I was wondering if there is something I could use that would allow me to have a 2 short cables,1 to my PC and 1 to the PC being worked on.
I have tired a RJ45 splitter but only one PC is on line at a time.


  mgmcc 09:02 09 Jul 2009

You need to plug the existing long cable into a "Network Switch", which will provide the additional RJ45 LAN ports that you need and also support the allocation of IP addresses by DHCP from your router.

Your RJ45 splitter will only allow the first PC that connects to get an IP address.

  gengiscant 10:32 09 Jul 2009

Thanks,its what I suspected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache