what kind of router?

Eileanbeag 15:59 18 Jan 2007

I am very ignorant of anything to do with networking but I have broadband for my desktop computer and am about to purchase a laptop. I think I need something called a router and if so could you advise me on what I should get

Blitzer 17:23 18 Jan 2007

For a kick off you have the choice of either wired or wireless router. A wired router as the name suggests means that your laptop would be physically connected to the router by a cable. Wireless as you can imagine means the connect takes place by the router sending and receiving information by transmitting it through the air, i.e. a bit like a radio. For the wirelss option you'll also need a wireless capability on your laptop, which may well be build in or could be added by buying a wireless card for it.

Next, depending on your broadband service will determine whether you want/need to get a router that had a modem built in or a router that will go between your exising modem and PC(s).

HTH.

Strawballs 01:53 19 Jan 2007

Any one of these click here if you are on ADSL (through phone line)

Any one of these click here if you are on cable (NTL or Telewest)

Eileanbeag 13:30 19 Jan 2007

Thanks for all your help. nce purchased is it difficult to set up or will there be clear instructions. I would think I would go for the wireless router

Strawballs 22:19 19 Jan 2007

Linksys,3com,buffalo,netgear and belkin seem to be the one's that get the most mentions here.

Eileanbeag 11:43 20 Jan 2007

Many thanks for help

Eileanbeag 00:47 01 Feb 2007

OK - now have router but am unsure where to go. Am with Bt broadband and when I try to go for wireless both the software and the connection wizard are looking for usb flash. Should I buy this or am I better to go ethernet? Don't really know what I am doing here and all help gratefully recieved!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?