what IT course should i take

ĀÕL иàťﻍŗ 10:45 24 Apr 2003

i wanted some advice on what IT course i can take to gain employment, i have ecdl, nt4 admin (RAF qualification not a civilian one) and various telecomms (not technical) raf Qualifications, but i want to do some more education in the 5 years i have left to serve to enable me to get a civvy IT job but i dont know were to start, i (foolishly) signed up for a schiedegger java course before realising that it was a complete waste of money! and i dont want to make the same mistake again, some firms have IT sections that look after all the office network etc but i am unsure as to what Qualificaions i would need. Can anyone recommend any USEFUL courses that would help me in my quest to become a civilian again?

Much apprecaited lets hope all you pros can sort this out!

barrie_g 11:02 24 Apr 2003

I'm problably the last person to offer advice but I would have thought that some sort of networking qualification would not go far wrong.

Sir Radfordin™ 11:21 24 Apr 2003

Qualifications are only worth so much, it is experience that you need. If you can prove you can do the job you have a far better chance of getting employment.

Stuff like Cisco certified courses will be good ones to do, look at becoming Microsoft Certified and that may help. But it is never going to guarentee work.

Look at job adverts for jobs you may like to do and see what they are looking for. You could approach the company and see if they think you would be a suitable candidate or if they could suggest what you should do to improve your chances.

MartinT-B 14:01 24 Apr 2003

In the first instance check out the Comptia A+ for a basic hardware grounding. You may already know the stuff in which case just take the exam.

There is a shortage of good hardware engineers. All the kids want to be webdesigners (!!!) which you can learn be trial and error.

Microsoft do a series of exams. MCSE (Microsoft Certified System Engineer) click here is the basic. After that you can train in networking and/or databases. click here

No reputable IT company will employ you without Comptia+. Some require MSCE, others will train you and pay for the exams.

Once you have them 'under your belt' you can actually make a lot of money working on friends' PC's and other recommendations. A lot of PC engineers over-charge - £50.00ph is not uncommon and in London it's nearer £75.00. You can easily under-cut this and still make an excellent wage once you have a reputation.

MartinT-B 14:05 24 Apr 2003

Comptia A+ click here

STEVE71163 16:03 24 Apr 2003

I am at present doing the the A+ and it seems that plenty of people are looking for good engineers fingers crossed. :0)

ĀÕL иàťﻍŗ 17:22 24 Apr 2003

what is the difference between the mcse and the a+ courses and what shall i start with, also does anyone know of any providers of these courses?

ĀÕL иàťﻍŗ 17:28 24 Apr 2003

i wanted a course that cerifies me to be able to fix and build computers also to install and manage networks

MartinT-B 17:35 24 Apr 2003

A+ is the basic Hardware Course/exam. traches you what's what and what it's really called - ie Berg Converter, not Small power lead :)

You need to take that before MCSE.

If you take a look in any decent PC mag, you find courses advertised in the back of all of them for both A+ and MSCE. Some of them home study like Scheidegger (spelling?), some of the intensive on-site, hands-on courses, some of them internet based.

Once you have done the course you wil have to register and take the exam. There are tons of places to take them and you do the exam on-line in real-time and get an instant result.

You have to register and book/pay before you take, but you can choose your testing centre.

click here for more info on the A+ certificate.

MartinT-B 17:37 24 Apr 2003

That link also recommends trainers.

Sunny-275842 18:11 24 Apr 2003

do CISCO networking?!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?