What IDE controller card has Vista drivers?

HIT any key 12:58 30 Apr 2008

I have had to do an unplanned upgrade (fried Mobo) and, although I have a new SATA drive with my reinstalled system on it, I need to be able to get stuff off my old disks (and use 2 perfectly good disks with 320 Gb of space).

I bought an IDE controller card (Rocket 133S) but this is going back as it has no Vista drivers (and Rocket tells me it is well out of date).

At the moment I am managing by having the case open and swapping DVD & hard drives into the available IDE connector - but this is far from ideal.

I do not need to boot from the IDE drives but I need one with Vista drivers. Has anyone any recommendations? Thanks in advance

Ditch999 14:32 30 Apr 2008

Buy a USB IDE External caddy and fit the drive in to it then pllug it in to a USB port to access it. Some caddys hold 2 x HDDs and you can configure them for RAID 0/1 if you want

HIT any key 14:37 30 Apr 2008

Thanks for the idea. I have only seen single drive versions and they are quite expensive (about 3 times the cost of a controller card).

I am also not sure about the speed compared to an inboard interface? If it is significantly slower then it might be OK for data recovery but general use may be a bit limited.

Ditch999 15:04 30 Apr 2008

Buy a USB IDE External caddy and fit the drive in to it then pllug it in to a USB port to access it. Some caddys hold 2 x HDDs and you can configure them for RAID 0/1 if you want

Ditch999 15:06 30 Apr 2008

£15 for a single drive click here
and yes they tend to be slower than an internal drive unless you can get Firewire or eSATA connections.

Ditch999 15:08 30 Apr 2008

eSATA single disk for £25 click here

Ditch999 15:14 30 Apr 2008

If its cheap and cheerful and you have spare SATA connectors then what about a IDE to SATA convertor for £20? click here

HIT any key 15:24 30 Apr 2008

Your last suggestion looks a good option. I have 3 spare SATA connectors on the MoBo.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?