What have i broken.

  Mother'sBored 17:56 03 Feb 2007

Has anyone any idea what i've broken, PLEASE.

I got a pc i know worked but it had no memory.

I got a 1gb strip but messed up installing it. I ONLY PUSHED ONE SIDE DOWN INTO ITS SLOT.

When i turned on the pc a burning smell came from it and now when i start it a continuous bleep can be heard and it won't boot.

Have i burned out the CPU / Killed the M/board or damaged the PSU.

FIC P4M-800T
250W PSU
1GB strip of pc3200 ddr

  Forum Editor 18:09 03 Feb 2007

that an incorrectly inserted RAM module would cause a burning smell. It would simply not be recognised when the machine performed its POST, and you would get a beep from the BIOS.

It sounds to me as if something on the motherboard may have shorted. You could try opening the case and checking every connection, then carefully inspect the motherboard for an signs of tracking (small black or brown trace marks). Do the fans run when you try to start the machine?

  Diodorus Siculus 18:10 03 Feb 2007

I think the burning was coincidental with the RAM installation; installing RAM incorrectly would not cause anything to burn.

When was it last running?

Have you tried again?

Are there any beeps now?

  Mother'sBored 18:20 03 Feb 2007

it was last running only a week or 2 before this happened.

have tried it again and i just get a continuous bleep sound and nothing else.

yes the fans run. that was one of the 1st things i checked when restarting it.

  Mother'sBored 18:22 03 Feb 2007

i did checked every connection and they all seemed fine.

  skidzy 18:26 03 Feb 2007

Only if no smoke or smell of smoke.

Open the case again with the power off (at the wall socket).

Reseat any graphics cards and swap the ram into different slots.Check all connections from the psu including the little 4 pin plug.Also if you have any pci cards,reseat those also.

Try running the pc with the sidecasing off.

  Diodorus Siculus 18:26 03 Feb 2007

Most sites suggest a continuous beep is caused by a PSU problem.

  Pamy 18:29 03 Feb 2007

Forum Editor, I burnt an Asus motherboard by inserting new correct ram , not sure if it was not correct inserted but it definately burnt it out.

  Mother'sBored 18:30 03 Feb 2007

ok skidzy. will do.
i've already have stripped it down to see if i could see anything wrong with the board or the cpu (not that i really know what to look for).

cpu looks fine and the board does to but as i say i'm not really sure what to look for.

i'll put it back together and see what happens.


  Mother'sBored 18:34 03 Feb 2007

pamy, ram i got said it was ok for my board. it was the same type / make as was in it before. got pc from a friend and they told me what to get as they knew it would work.

  Mother'sBored 18:36 03 Feb 2007

Diodorus Siculus. i did have a feeling it was the cpu
but thought i'd seek advice before buying a new one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?