What has happened to AOL?

ened 12:59 14 Dec 2008

My BB connection has been intermittent at best all morning and their telephone number (0844499555) comes up with ' the number you have dialled has not been recognised...."

PS This number is free to talk package customers when it works.

I have a few other numbers for them but they are all dead.

Kaacee 13:11 14 Dec 2008

Had same problem with BB connection, but finally got online after rebooting PC.

mak2 13:15 14 Dec 2008

AOL has moved their operations since CPW took over, thier new system is incompatible with some of their old software. But they haven't bothered to tell their customers. You have to talk to India to resolve the problem.

ened 13:46 14 Dec 2008

I don't thinkl this is anything to do with that, although I do have intermittent problems since they moved the servers to this side of the pond.

I can't even get through on the telephone as the numbers are unobtainable.

I was beginning to suspect they were a victim of the credit crunch but my BB seems to have stabilised for the moment.

ened 13:48 14 Dec 2008

We have a router but I also had a small crash this morning so did a system restore just in case.

It made no difference because, although the router was apparently connected nothing would download.

stlucia 17:04 14 Dec 2008

I couldn't get a response from AOL this morning when trying to log on via my BT100 USB modem. Seems okay now though.

ened 17:21 14 Dec 2008

Their phone is back - with a recorded message stating they have a 'network issue'.

BB has been back for a while but is incredibly slow.

p;3 17:35 14 Dec 2008

if anyone on this thread is interested and in need of, a BT BB phone number of use is 08001114567

RobCharles1981 17:49 14 Dec 2008

ened - If AOL are giving you problems my suggestion is that you get your Mac Code from them.

Have you heard of this site? click here ??

Look at the ratings that AOL get you won't be surprised.

I used to be on AOL I got sick to death of them, I went to Falconnet (Enta) but they went bust, so I joined another Enta Reseller - ADSL24 and let me tell you something they are the dogs.

I'm 840 Meters from my Local Exchange and I get 6-7meg on 8 Meg Max!! :-)))

With Enta Resellers you get UK BASED SUPPORT!! No Indians reading from a script!! 1 Month Contracts, No Traffic Shaping or Port Blocking i'm on 30/300gigs of usage a month for £19.99 a month: click here

What does samknows say what other broadband services are at your exchange?

click here

Cheers

Rob

ened 18:02 14 Dec 2008

I like AOL.

I am tired of keeping changing isps because of one thing or another.

Let's face it none of them are perfect.

I don't like talking (or trying to talk) to Indian Call Centres but at least the calls are free.

Maybe BT could offer a better service but I am only saying that because it is their equipment and lines the others use. But BT are pretty hopeless in all other aspects so I want to stay with AOL.

But they have had a few problems in the past month - and I don't think it is all because I moved house.

RobCharles1981 18:39 14 Dec 2008

Just out of interest what other services CAN you get at your exchange?

click here

Fill in the blanks and post back the results.

"I am tired of keeping changing isps because of one thing or another."

Why?

Are you getting Slow speeds or not good service by this?

"Let's face it none of them are perfect"

That's nonsense if you ask me. Look at the ratings what AOL get: click here# Number 21 on the list

For common sense of the decent ISPs in that list on DSLzone usually the Top 10.

"I don't like talking (or trying to talk) to Indian Call Centers but at least the calls are free"

What calls to the Support Line? The Calls may be free but they are wasting your time they fob you off from pillar to post blaming everything but your computer.

With ADSL24 who I said I'm with you get to Talk to someone with knowledge and broadband experience who know what they are on about in the UK and not India. ADSL24 a fix local rate number if you need customer service/support. Or you can submit a Support Ticket. Or post on the ADSL24 Forum or dslzoneuk.

The Owner of ADSL24 is "James" who knows his stuff he's one of the Administrators on the dslzoneuk website and ADSL24 Forum.

One example of Jame's aftercare service was when I was due for activation day and I didn't have my Router Login Details no worries I called ADSL24 He answered and provided me them there and then over the phone.

"Maybe BT could offer a better service but I am only saying that because it is their equipment and lines the others use. But BT are pretty hopeless in all other aspects so I want to stay with AOL."

BT = Broadband Throttling - Don't even go there. Again they have proved bad reviews and ratings on dslzone website - AOL are even worst get your Mac Code and go.

All I can say if you want to find out what services ADSL24 offer then the number for them is 01457 6000 24 or Email is via this link.

click here

Do the right thing and get shift with AOL. Another user who will agree with me is Fatboyslim71

Thanks

Rob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?