What graphics card should I upgrade to?

OWSucks 00:40 23 Mar 2009

Hi there. Before I go on about my problem, here's my computer information (hope it is sufficient):

HP Pavilion dv5 1111ea laptop
AMD Turion X2 Dual Core mobile RM-72 processor
ATI Mobility HD Radeon 3450 graphics card
4GB RAM
Vista Home Premium.

Basically I love video games, and since buying the laptop a few months ago I've installed Grand Theft Auto 3 and San Andreas on the machine.

My problem is that I can't play these games to their full ptoential, because they lag when I max out the optimisation settings.

GTA3 plays fine on the highest resolution and draw distance, but lags when I turn off the frame limiter.

San Andreas lags when the resolution is set over 1027x782x32 and the visual effects quality os set to anything other than 'low'.

My question is simply this: What graphics card and/or processor would I need to replace my current one(s) with, that will give me the best performance out of these games (and also newer, more demanding games like GTA 4)?

In other words, what's the best possible graphics card for my laptop?

Thanks so much for your help with this!

wee eddie 11:22 23 Mar 2009

but that looks like "on Board" Graphics.

No chance of an Upgrade.

OWSucks 13:24 23 Mar 2009

Oh nads.

Can you confirm that for me?

iqs 14:11 23 Mar 2009

Laptops are difficult to upgrade.You could probably change the CPU,but you need to check with the manufacturer what CPU's yours supports.

Graphics chips are built into the MB,upgrading is not really an option.You would have to buy a new MB from the manufacturer.There are proprioritary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?