my specs are
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P#
AMD II 955 X4
4GB DDR3 1600C9DHX

what video cards can i buy
i know they have to be ati

Kevscar1 10:30 11 Nov 2009

You need to be more specific.
What are you going to do, games, watch movies, make movies etc.

keef66 16:27 11 Nov 2009

why would they have to be ATI? (the chip manufacturer)

Did you mean PCI-express? (the kind of motherboard slot it fits into)

As Kevscar says, it all depends on what you want it to do. And how much (or little) you want to spend.

If it's only office stuff and internet you'd be better off with a motherboard with integrated graphics.
If it's for gaming I suggest you read the latest "best graphics cards for the money" article on Tom's Hardware

click here

sonyboy 16:46 11 Nov 2009

Hi ..I know you have posted in the "Absolute Beginners " section so I'll try and keep it "non tech" in case you are not familiar with all the associated issues that upgrades involve!
..Your board supports...2 PCI-E 2.0 x16 i with ATI CrossFireX support ....so you can use either PCI-E version 1 or version 2 as it is backward compatible..If you go for a "High End" (Powerfull) card...you need to be sure your Power Supply Unit is capable of handling the wattage that your chosen card runs at..
Check your PSU Wattage rating..first...as it is important that you have a healthy power supply for the added load on your equipment!!
Even then..if your PSU is not a well known brand ..it may not deliver the true rating that it claims.Can you confirm what PSU you have and its wattage rating??
..That will help get an idea of what card you can realisticaly support.It's no good going for a "power hungry" card that will suck all of your power at the expense of your other components.
If you aren't sure..someone here will be able to help give you a better idea of which card type to look for when we have a better idea of your PSU capability as a starting point.

QuizMan 10:52 12 Nov 2009

Do not forget that PCA has top 5 charts for graphics charts so why not take a look at their comments. It is on page 142 of the latest (Jan 2010) issue.

QuizMan 10:53 12 Nov 2009

...graphics charts = graphics cards... sorry about that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017