What graphics card

amonra 15:37 29 Feb 2008

I have just been given an ACER Aspire T180 desktop which works reasonably well but I would like to fit a new video card to replace the onboard NVIDEA Geforce 6100 that exists.
I dont do any gaming or any super-fast computing so I would be content with a half-decent card. I have extra RAM on order, which should help, so any recommendations please as to an affordable PCI express graphics card ???

crosstrainer 15:46 29 Feb 2008

Plenty here at good prices....Stay away from the 8800's they are way beyond what you need...Look for a 7600GTS if you can find one. Should do nicely.

click here

Stuartli 16:03 29 Feb 2008

Recent PC Advisor review of a £26 graphics card (as you don't require anything too spectacular):

click here

GaT7 16:10 29 Feb 2008

As you don't play games any dedicated graphics card should be better than the integrated 6100 you have at the moment.

7600GT is quite a bit of an overkill. You should be looking to spend no more than £20-30.

Any one of these 8400GS would do nicely click here

Or, you could try for a bargain off eBay - a search for a few compatible PCI-E nVidia models click here. I've chosen nVidia so you may not have to uninstall/install graphics drivers, but best to install the latest anyway. G

GaT7 16:40 29 Feb 2008

One that's very tempting for the money ATI Radeon All In Wonder X800 GT with digital TV tuner & remote for just over £30 delivered click here OR click here.

Reviews click here & click here.

According to the first review it draws all its power from the PCI-E slot (no additional power connector required), but I'm unsure what the PSU requirements are like. I reckon 300W or more should do. G

amonra 21:28 29 Feb 2008

Thank you all for your input especially Crossbow, you have given me a lot of ideas to research !
Ticked as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone