What is going on?

Kingwraith 20:46 01 Jul 2003

This is quite a long story butI can not help but feel that all these incidents are linked.

I bought my PC from Mesh 3 years ago.
After a year it was crashing and they diagnosed it a as a hardware programme, said it had a faulty hard drive and replaced it.
About a year later the same problem developed. This time I took it to a local repair shop who said that the cables used to connect the hard drive were not the correct ones for that hard drive and this had caused the hard drive to burn out. So I had it replaced again along with the coreect cables.

Recently I have had broadband fitted. I came in last night and my computer would not boot up. It got as far as where windows would start to load and just stopped dead, no errors , no messages.

The local repair man tells me that windows directory has just vanished from my hard drive along with all the files I had stored on the hard drive, though there seems to be no hardware problem.
I have reinstalled XP now and it is running okay at the moment. was it possibly a Virus this time (I am using Norton & a fire wall) or is there some hardware problem I am missing altogether. Any thoughts would be really appreciated.

DieSse 21:39 01 Jul 2003

"This time I took it to a local repair shop who said that the cables used to connect the hard drive were not the correct ones for that hard drive and this had caused the hard drive to burn out"

This is unmitigated rubbish - I would not trust anything else that this man says.

As for this time - who knows? - one thing that is virtually impossible is to tell how something strange happened, when there's no evidence to go on. Yes it could have been a virus - and it could have been a myriad other things.

Psiman 21:51 01 Jul 2003

1) Wrong HDD cable? I don't think so. They plug in the correct sockets don't they, hence not a faiure problem.

2) A Windows directory (folder?)doesn't just disappear by its own accord! Follow DieSse advise, don't trust your local repair man.

3) Its a fact of life that your PC is now in middle age. Think twice before throwing any more money at it for repairs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires