What FSB for this spec after upgrade?

Will 12:00 15 Jan 2009

I have upgraded my Computer but think can increase my FSB which at the moment is running at 200MHz, the upgrade spec is below. Am I correct in thinking I could increase the FSB to 800MHz, the only thing I wonder about is the RAM? Is there any other things I need to take into consideration?

Intel Pentium 2.5 dual core CPU (E5200), Frontside BUS 800Mhz

MB that Supports FSB 800/1066/1333/1600* (OC) MHz. (MSI P45 NEO)

RAM 4 x 1gig DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 128Meg x 64 •

As usual thanks for any advice you can give me.

Will 13:21 15 Jan 2009

and is BUS the same as FSB?

Pamy 13:33 15 Jan 2009

Taken from another site
FSB (Frontside Bus)

Stands for "frontside bus." The FSB connects the computer's processor to the system memory (RAM) and other components on the motherboard. These components include the system chipset, AGP card, PCI devices, and other peripherals. Because the FSB serves as the main path from the processor to the rest of the motherboard, it is also called the "system bus."

The speed of the frontside bus is measured in Megahertz or Gigahertz, just like the processor. Most computers' processors run faster than their system buses, so the FSB speed is typically a ratio of the processor speed. For example, a Pentium 4 processor that runs at 2.4 GHz may have an FSB speed of only 400 MHz. The CPU to FSB ratio would be 6:1. A Power Mac G5, however, with a 2.0 GHz processor, has a 1.0 GHz frontside bus. Therefore, its CPU to FSB ratio is 2:1.

The smaller the ratio, the more efficiently the processor can work. Therefore, faster frontside bus speeds lead to faster overall performance. When the CPU to FSB ratio is high, the processor often has to wait for data to be sent out over the system bus before getting new data to process. For this reason, the FSB can be a bottleneck in a computer's performance. So if you are looking for a fast computer, don't just check the processor speed, but find out what the frontside bus speed is as well.

Jim_F 16:05 15 Jan 2009

I think because we are dealing with the Hypertransport bus the rules change slightly as it is this that defines the data rate at which the CPU communicates with the rest of the system (hence the term 'front side bus').

The CPU, HT bus and memory are all clocked at multiples of the system clock so taking my system as an example the system clock (system bus spreed) is 200 Mhz, the CPU 2.2 Ghz, the HT bus 1.0 Ghz and the DDR memory 400 Mhz.

If you run CPU-Z you should see a similar pattern for your own system: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?