What is Firmware ?

bullseye 22:52 07 Jan 2003
  bullseye 22:52 07 Jan 2003

on my startup (with my new MS6334 Motherboard) I
get the message ' NEW HARDWARE FOUND FIRMWARE '
do I need to load a driver for this? ( whatever it is) and does anybody know if its an important
piece of kit that my computer cannot do without?
I have found that my mouse pointer always has the
egg timer next to it and I can't do a thing with
my computer, could this have anything to do with
this FIRM thing whatever it is? Please help.

skeletal 23:11 07 Jan 2003

Firmware is “software” that has been permanently or semi-permanently “blown” into various types of ROM (Read Only Memory). The most common would be the BIOS (Basic Input Output System). Others would be ROMs in printers/peripherals etc.

The wording of your message is a bit odd to say the least! If it said “Windows has found firmware” then it could be that you have just installed something new (although it would usually say “New Hardware”).

Other thoughts are: have you changed anything recently, or have you checked for a virus?

So I can help you with what firmware is, but not your message!

Skeletal

wetterfugal 23:15 07 Jan 2003

A category of memory chips that hold their content without electrical power and include ROM, PROM, EPROM and EEPROM technologies. Firmware becomes "hard software" when holding program code.

This is the best I can do for you it looks like the computer is getting upset but I can't tell you why.

The best of luck, I am sure that you will get an answer soom.

wetterfugal 23:17 07 Jan 2003

soon even, it's getting late!

Forum Editor 23:20 07 Jan 2003

you have installed a new motherboard with a hard drive that was previously in use on a different board.

Windows is detecting the new boardby the sound of it. Have you installed any software for the new board - from the CD that came with it?

Which version of Windows are you using?

gimbal 09:38 08 Jan 2003

I think that MSI MoBo's have automatic updates for BIOS etc. The apps are on the MoBo driver disk and you can choose to install or leave them off. Live BIOS and live driver are 2 examples.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?