What Firewall For Vista?

Input Overload 16:43 03 Jan 2010

At the moment my one of my daughters has Comodo Security on, which has a Firewall & AV. However I'm not totally happy as she is asked a lot of questions by the firewall & being 9 she doesn't always know what to do (Nor do I sometimes). I'm not that impressed with the AV in it also. I'm thinking of installing the MS Anti-Virus.

That leaves me with what Firewall to use, she has Vista running on it & it runs very well. Has anyone had any experience of the PC Tools free firewall?

The only firewall I don't like is Zone Alarm. any alternative ideas please?

rdave13 16:47 03 Jan 2010

I use windows' own firewall with the free controller, click here
Changed the audio warning though.

Paperplane 16:47 03 Jan 2010

Just use the built in firewall. It's perfectly adequate. Never had a problem in 2 and half years using it.

Fingees 16:49 03 Jan 2010

I agree, use vista's built in.

It works both ways, unlike the old XP firewall

Graphicool1 16:53 03 Jan 2010

Ditch Comodo it's nothing but a nagging, scare mongering pain, it's in your face all the time. I got rid of it at my earliest convenience!

So what's wrong with the Vista on-board Firewall? I know it takes a lot of configuring but once you've done it, it can't be beat.

Input Overload 16:53 03 Jan 2010

As I have always used a second party Firewall, is the Vista Firewall set for in & out as default or just in like XP?

There is a decent hardware Firewall in the router anyway.

rdave13 I'll look at that link, thanks to all, I'll mark as resolved.

Input Overload 16:53 03 Jan 2010

Sorry Fingees, missed your post, all questions answered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?