what files can i move to a second hard drive?

outlawbabs 17:46 13 Apr 2008

Hi,
My notebook has 2 hard drives showing in my computer,C(system) and D (data)C is showing over 3/4 full while d is empty.Obviously I need to shift some files over to D,but could I move say my documents or picture files to the empty drive? would the shortcuts work and would i be able to save to that drive when I save work?
Thanks in advance

VoG II 17:49 13 Apr 2008

You can move My Documents click here

woodchip 17:50 13 Apr 2008

no programs, you can only reload these and do a custom install to the other drive

outlawbabs 17:59 13 Apr 2008

thanks for that :-)Yes, i realised moving programs would be a bad idea! I just want to move some files to make some space.
thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 13 Apr 2008

Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

Quiet Life 19:02 13 Apr 2008

Do you mean partitions and not harddrives?
Could D be a recovery partition? What size are the partitions? Not that many notebooks have two harddrives.

outlawbabs 19:51 13 Apr 2008

Sorry,its dual core,it prob is partitioned, it just showsas 2 separate drives in my computer :-)
its an empty data drive,not a recovery partition.
windows vista home premium
intel core 2 CPU T5200 @ 1.60GHz 1.60ghz
Memory;1014MB
32 bit os

woodchip 20:53 13 Apr 2008

If its a Toshiba it most likely is to 80Gb drives I got one and took it back to currys. it would not connect to my router using psk encryption, would only connect using wep

outlawbabs 22:35 13 Apr 2008

its a fujitsu siemens notebook,how can you tell if its one partitioned drive or 2 hard drives?I dont suppose it really matters im just curious.
:-)

beeuuem 22:56 13 Apr 2008

Look in Computer Management. Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management under Storage.

woodchip 23:08 13 Apr 2008

It should say in Device manager as both drives have different numbers even though they may be same drives

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?