What is the fastest processor I can fit...

Chris the Ancient 10:47 13 Dec 2006

on a Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-7VAXP 1.x motherboard?

I am currently running a 1.47 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP chip with 1Gb of memory and would, perhaps, like to run a little faster.

And, if I got a faster CPU, would it make that much difference? Would it be easy to change it?

Or shall I just hold fire a few more months and look for a 64-bit system and Windows Vista?

chub_tor 11:16 13 Dec 2006

It's Socket A click here so options for getting faster Athlons are now severely limited. Personally - and I am in the same boat - I intend to hold on and go for dual core and Vista.

Technotiger 11:26 13 Dec 2006

Hi, you could go faster by adding even more Memory - I have 2Gb, did make a difference.

Chris the Ancient 11:32 13 Dec 2006

chub_tor...

I was a little afraid of that!

Technotiger...

I recently upgraded from 512Mb to 1Gb which did make some difference (I'm pleased to say). Perhaps I shall have to wait after Christmas and go for 2Gb. BTW, I have two sockets of 512M and one free. Would I be able to put a 1Gb in that socket without difficulties of different size modules?

Mike D 12:45 13 Dec 2006

I've got the same motherboard with an Athlon 2700 (real speed 1.7???). System has had extra memory etc, but processor upgrade. I seem top remeber that the computer manufacturer (Campus, now defunct) said that this was the fastest offering that could be fitted, but Bios upgrades have probably changed this.

Mike

CurlyWhirly 15:09 13 Dec 2006

I have the same motherboard and I think the fastest processor you can fit in a GA-7VAXP is an Athlon XP 3200+.

Getting hold of one will be difficult as they are discontinued now but perhaps you might get one on E-bay?

I currently have an Athlon XP 3000+ and it will do me until I upgrade to a 64 bit PC and Vista next year!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017