What external hard drive?

PC_HelpMe 20:54 30 Jul 2014

Hi there,

I've read some articles on which external hard drive to get and I'm a bit swamped with info.

I mainly need one for storing photos and family video clips on but was put off by ones needing their own power supply as plug sockets are limited already in my house.

I don't know if it's relevant, but my main pc is old now and runs on the now redundant xp, and my laptop is vista. Ideally I need to use the external drive to put photos and video from both these units onto.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

tullie 20:56 30 Jul 2014

Have a look here click here

wee eddie 20:59 30 Jul 2014

WD Passport seems to be a favourite these days. I have a 1TB USB3 one even though I don't have USB3 Socket s yet

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:04 30 Jul 2014

3.5 inch drives will need a power supply , 2.5 inch drives may need use of a second usb socket for its power supply

Assuming USB 2 rather than USB 3 as you are using older machines, Although USB 3 is backward compatible with USB2

what capacity 500 Gb 1 Tb? budget?

PC_HelpMe 21:23 30 Jul 2014

I was thinking a 1TB - to be honest I don't want to spend over £100 - that would be my maximum. I know there are 2tb out there for about £70-£80.

My pc is having trouble starting up most of the time lately (doing 6 weird clicks) before ether booting up or freezing on one of the first dos pages that come up, so I need one that isn't going to completely blow up my pc before I've backed up my stuff from it.

Ahh fruit bat - my saviour from many a past computer problem :-)

Woolwell 21:33 30 Jul 2014

I would go for a powered one. I find 1 tb is fine for backing up my photos and documents (but I do have 2 of them and alternate).

Woolwell 21:36 30 Jul 2014

Just noticed that you want to back up the laptop too. That may be easier with a USB powered one. I do hope you have back-ups already as I don't like clicking. You can burn to DVD or CD important stuff too.

PC_HelpMe 21:46 30 Jul 2014

Yes I have most documents already backed up on DVDs :-)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:13 30 Jul 2014

wd passport black cheaper in argos than on Amazon

Batch 00:14 31 Jul 2014

2TB portable from £74 at ebuyer ebuyer1

1.5TB portable from £58 at ebuyer ebuyer2

1TB portable from £40 at ebuyer ebuyer3

Most if not all are USB powered, read reviews and make your choice.

rdave13 00:32 31 Jul 2014

Docking station.

Slowish HDD but OK for backup click here.

Beauty of set-up is you can use any formatted old drive as backup.

Within reason of age.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?