What is ~erafswd.tmp

yorky925 20:41 30 Oct 2003

The above appears to be taking up a lot of space on my computer.
Please tell a novice what it is and do I need it.
I?m using xp home.
Thanks in anticipation

powerless 20:43 30 Oct 2003

Where is the file located?

The .tmp tells you it is a temp file. Usually these files can be deleted, if windows is using the file you will not be able to delete it.

How big is the file?

VoG II 20:44 30 Oct 2003

Have you used click here

"It could be that either Eraser was terminated abnormally or the system crashed causing the temporary files to be lodged there and the temp Folder (~ERAFSWD.TMP) may have used up your diskspace. You can remove the folder ?~ERAFSWD.TMP? and all the files in it to reclaim the disk space
How to find the ~ERAFSWD.TMP Folder to erase it:

1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Click on View->Options and Show Hidden Files.
Run a Find.

3. If found Erase it.

If you wish to use the command prompt you can type ?deltree X:\~ERAFSWD.TMP?, where X is the drive letter"

RJKnight 20:45 30 Oct 2003

If you have recently run either of the above, a full system scan or disk optimization, these large files sometimes occur.

The files on my PC are not the same name as yours but are .tmp files located on C:/, not in any sub-folder and are very large. Try restarting your PC - that gets rid of mine.

Ciaran

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:46 30 Oct 2003

It is the holding file for Eraser, a file shredder programme ;-)))) You can delete it as it will have details of all deleted files. may I quote...'It could be that either Eraser was terminated abnormally or the system crashed causing the temporary files not to be removed. You can remove the folder ?~ERAFSWD.TMP? and all the files in it to reclaim the disk space (open command prompt and type ?deltree X:\~ERAFSWD.TMP?, where X is the drive letter)'

G

powerless 20:46 30 Oct 2003

come on people give google a break!

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:46 30 Oct 2003

I am sure that you are looking over my shoulder. ;-)))

G

VoG II 20:48 30 Oct 2003

Have you heard of something called "spyware"? I am the embodiment ;o)))

yorky925 11:06 31 Oct 2003

Thanks all,I have recovered 19.9 GB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie