What equipment do i need for setting up network.

Daveson 14:59 26 Oct 2004

Hello. I am getting Broadband on the 3rd Nov. What i get is two microfilters and a broadband modem. Please can you tell me what equipment i would need to connect my laptop wirelssly. The laptop is the only pc in the house. And if you could provide a link of where to buy then that would be a bonus. My laptop has a PCMCIA slot on the side, is this where i fit a wireless card.

Thank.

Daveson 15:01 26 Oct 2004

Hi again, would this do the trick... althought its had poor reviews.

click here

Daveson 15:32 26 Oct 2004

or this one maybe ?

click here

Muckle 15:33 26 Oct 2004

Yes you are correct the wireless card fits in the pcmcia slot in the laptop, but you may find a slightly cheaper option as you only need a router/wireless access point and the pc card - you already have the modem.
I set up my network in stages so ended up with a router and a seperate wireless access point but it was all fairly straightforward to set up and well worth the time and money

Daveson 15:35 26 Oct 2004

I dont have a boradband modem only a dial up modem.

woody147 18:00 26 Oct 2004

I'd go for the first link you mentioned, you say it got bad reviews (?!) but this didn't seem to stop it getting PC Plus Editors choice, digital home essential, pc format gold and MACFormat editors choice awards ;-)
one of the best wireless/all-in-one packages out there.

Daveson 18:44 26 Oct 2004

yeah it seems like a good all rounder... i will give it some thought.

easyrider 19:06 26 Oct 2004

Just as an aside I have got the DG824M, which is the earlier version,and found it very reliable and relatively easy to set up.

Daveson 20:26 26 Oct 2004

Ok, thanks for you info, i will look into options. If anyone else has any views then please post them. Cheers.

Daveson 20:28 26 Oct 2004

Just one last note, what are AOL like for Broadband ? i hear that theres some hassle about the amount of stuff that goes onto your pc... ?

Are they a good service provider ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017