what equipment

biker24 16:54 21 Mar 2007

I have a USB broadband modem, which I use with my desktop computer and would like to change to wireless so my wife can use her laptop to connect to the INTERNET as well, Can someone recommend the equipment I need, And the cost etcetera.

Strawballs 20:39 21 Mar 2007

click here

If you get your Broadband through phoneline click here any one of these.

If through Cable click here any one of these.

biker24 18:04 22 Mar 2007

Thanks for that strawballs, there is another question though, Will I have to keep my PC wired to the router, or can I fit a USB adaptor to that as well as the laptop, (I am thinking of siting the router away from my PC), Also I am on a BT line.

postie24 18:55 22 Mar 2007

Hi,no you dont have to keep it connected to the pc,just go wireless with the usb adaptor as you stated

Postie24

Strawballs 22:23 22 Mar 2007

You can do as postie24 says but you have to leave it wired to the router untill you have set up the wireless encryption etc, then you can unplug it and go wireless.

biker24 15:26 23 Mar 2007

I am thinking of purchasing a netgear rangemax adsl router, model number DGE34PN with free WPN111 usb adaptor, From Novatech, Any thoughts on using this equipment thanks in advance.

Kate B 20:30 23 Mar 2007

Should do the job nicely.

biker24 16:36 24 May 2007

I purchased a net gear range max adsl router, Easy to set up and works really well on my computer which I have left hard wired, But disappointed with the strength of the signal on my wifes laptop, Even using it in the same room as the router it says signal strength low, Any ideas to increase the range would be helpful.

postie24 19:35 24 May 2007

Have you got any cordless phones in the same room?They can affect the signal.You could try setting the router on another channel via the router homepage.
Also have you set up the encryption?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?