what DVD format

richierich 16:51 10 Sep 2003

I know this has often been talked about but I would like the latest opinions.
I want to burn video DVDs for distribution in various home players-not PC players.
Is it DVD- or DVD+ I should use. Many burners do both but I need maximum compatability.
Thanks in advance.

stlucia 17:07 10 Sep 2003

Within my limited circle, I have had no problems with DVD- on home video machines. So I use them because they're cheaper.

But I beleive that DVD+ is compatible with more domestic machines, and is becoming more prevalent. Because of that the prices of disks are coming down.

If you really want to go for a single standard burner I would suggest DVD+. But prices of dual standard burners have also come down, so why not hedge your bets if you can afford it?

richierich 17:11 10 Sep 2003

How long does it usually take to burn an hours worth of dvd video, also whats the max length you can burn on one disk.

Chegs ® 17:16 10 Sep 2003

It depends on the media I'm using,but anything from 15 mins(approx) to over an hour(4.4GBs of files onto DVD-RW)An hours worth of DVD can be burnt(at Max Speeds)in approx 15-20 mins.

The Sack 18:03 10 Sep 2003

I have yet to find a machine that +R will not work on. A 4.7 GB DVD+R (2 hour) burns the full disc in 24 minutes including lead in and out and a 4X one does it in 14 or 15 minutes. It is best to go by how long a full disc takes to burn because you might encode 1 hour of video that fills the disc or you might encode it to fill only half of it, it depends on the bitrates used.

Even if you re-encode to fit 3 hours on a disc there is not really any drop in quality and it will stall take 24 minutes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?