What does "Unmountable boot volume" mean

hassled 17:02 03 Oct 2008

I moved the HP C3180 printer that had been working to another computer. I connected it up and then turned the computer on (XP) and printer on. The computer won't boot and gives me a blue screen which tells me I have Unmountable Boot Volume. Won't start in any safe mode. I turned off and disconnected the printer but i cannot get away from this blue screen with the same impassable message. Apart from apologising to the computer, how do I make it my friend again and let me in?

Cockney Rebel 17:27 03 Oct 2008

Maybe this will be of some assistance

click here

hassled 17:47 03 Oct 2008

Er thanks Cockney Rebel but what is UDMA drive and what connector cable are we talking about? assled

cream. 18:31 03 Oct 2008

Ultra
Direct
Memory
Access.

It is a fast way that a hard drive or cdrom transfers data to a computer. The wide cables that come out of these drives and fit to the motherboard are the flat ribbon cables mentioned.

check that the cables are firmly pressed into the drives and motherboard. When you boot up the computer and you get the first screen ( called POST screen ) do you get a message saying that a 40 pin cable is being used when a shielded 80 pin cable should be?

My guess is that you need to do a repair. Follow thisclick here

Terminus90 03:38 05 Oct 2008

you need to do a format and re-install, there is a virus on your root drive, if you do not format you will not remove the virus

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:49 05 Oct 2008

What a load of rubbish!!!

hassled
The PC is trying to boot from the memory in the printer instead of the proper Hard drive.

Unplug USB from printer and it should boot OK.

If you really want the printer switched on before the PC then you will need to alter the order of boot devices in the BIOS.
First boot device is best set as CDD/DVD drive
Second as the hard drive windows is on.
Disable any others.

ronalddonald 08:25 08 Oct 2008

you load up the software for the computer when you plugged in the printer. If you didnt then may b u should try that then c if printer works

Terminus90 02:00 20 Nov 2008

f you had read earlier, hassled had lready done what you suggested. I wonder if he had to follow my advice in the end

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?