What does no carrier mean

wobblymike 21:37 14 Oct 2005

I'm trying to do a bit of remote diagnosis which is not easy!!
A friend has just had his PC "cured" of a number of viruses but now when trying to connect to the Internet (dial up) gets a no carrier message. I've not seen this before and for various reasons it's difficult to get him to check settings over the phone, I'll do that myself when I visit him on Sunday. In the mean time can anyone offer me a clue as to what no carrier means. My initial instinct is faulty modem. thoughts please.

SANTOS7 21:50 14 Oct 2005

Error message returned by a modem when the telephone line drops unexpectedly because of line noise or other interruptions.

octal 21:52 14 Oct 2005

I tried to find a web site to explain it, but I can't, so I'll try myself.

Basically the data has got to be transmitted over the phone line, to enable this to happen the data is imposed on a carrier tone. When the computer hears the tone from the server it syncs itself to it then the data transfer starts between computer and server. If that tone can't be found you will receive that message.

Make sure the computer is dialling the correct number and not a bogus one that might have crept in, also no carrier can also mean the computer is receiving a weak signal from the server maybe because of noise on the line.

wobblymike 21:56 14 Oct 2005

Thanks guys

SANTOS7 22:00 14 Oct 2005

The "No carrier signal detected" error, received after your modem tries and fails to connect to your ISP, means that the amount of line noise present on the telephone line is greater than your modem can tolerate at its present protocol setting. To solve the problem, set the modem to connect using the v.34 protocol.
found this it sort of applies to macs but it may work..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires