What does this mean?

rickf 23:04 08 Jun 2004

Friend of mine uninstalled Norton because it was slowing his comp down to a halt. After uninstalling, he now gets an error message saying:C:/windows.image.dll

Image not found.
However, when he clicks ok the comp proceeds to boot into win xp normally. Should he be concerned as I am not familiar with this error. Thanks.BTW, he now uses Panda anti-virus if that helps.

rickf 23:08 08 Jun 2004

^^^

VoG II 23:09 08 Jun 2004

Start, Run, type in

msconfig

and click OK.

On the Startup tab look for

C:/windows.image.dll

and untick it. Click OK and restart

rickf 23:13 08 Jun 2004

Thanks Vog. That's what I thought of telling him but wasn't sure if its an essential fine or not to untick.

GaT7 23:37 08 Jun 2004

This problem is probably caused by spyware.

<<CoolWebSearch.image is another CoolWebSearch variant with unknown purpose. A sign of partial infection is the message "cannot find C:\WINDOWS\image.dll">> Source: click here.

VoG's suggestion may stop the problem from recurring but you'll want to help your friend to remove the spyware completely. There's a tutorial in the above link for manual removal - scroll to the middle of the page. Careful with deleting stuff in the registry - backup registry before attempting. Good luck, G

VoG II 23:40 08 Jun 2004

Good point. Off to wear hair shirt and self-flagelate.

GaT7 00:00 09 Jun 2004

You seem to be on for a long time each day helping folks here, & you're invariably the first to respond to most of the posts. How do you manage it? In my view you're quite brilliant* so I won't hang around to see you torture or depreciate yourself ; ) I reckon a good night's rest will get you back on track. Take care & g'night : ) G

*PS - and so are some others here. You all deserve medals!

rickf 07:50 09 Jun 2004

Thanks to all for responding. Its both helpful and educational. I agree whole hearttedly re comments about Vog whose dedication knows no bounds.Will close now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?