What does this BT broadband check report mean?

Pineman100 09:00 26 Mar 2009

We're looking to move house, and have found a house to buy. The current owners don't have broadband (they're not computer users), so I wanted to check whether it's available at the house.

I used the online BT broadband checker for the phone number, and I got the following report:-

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line rate up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

------------------

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 3.5Mbps or greater.

The actual stable ADSL line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This rate may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Note: Our Records indicate that you have a product or service supplied to this line that is currently incompatible with broadband. You will need to have the product or service ceased before broadband could be provided. If you place an order before the incompatible product or service has been ceased then the order will be rejected."

------------------

I asked the current owners about that last paragraph, to see whether they (a) use an different line service provider from BT, and (b) whether they have a shared line with a DACS box, or any other abnormality. In both cases they said no.

So I have a couple of questions, please.

Firstly: As the local exchange is ADSL Max enabled (click here), am I right in thinking that the above report suggests I should be able to get up to 3.5 Mb bandwidth at the house?

Secondly: What could be going on with the line, that produces the report in the last paragraph above?

Any thoughts please?

Graham. 09:03 26 Mar 2009

The line may have an ISDN2 service, such as Home Highway.

Graham. 09:05 26 Mar 2009
  jolorna 09:11 26 Mar 2009

if the current owners have never used the internet they would not be able to say if there line had a DACS fitted

Pineman100 09:22 26 Mar 2009

Thanks for your response. Would they not know if they had a DACS box, purely from the existence of the box itself, somewhere in the house? Or can they be located elsewhere - on a pole, for instance?

Pineman100 09:25 26 Mar 2009

Thank you. Do I understand from your link that Home Highway is a line sharing service, that uses a DACS box? And do I also understand correctly that - if you have this service - BT will allocated you youir own line, on request?

Pineman100 09:26 26 Mar 2009

Sorry - I missed your first reponse! If I applied to BT for ADSL, would they simply uninstall Home Highway on request?

tullie 10:03 26 Mar 2009

Would there be anything on the line if its a new number?

Graham. 10:31 26 Mar 2009

If you applied for broadband, an engineer would need to visit the house to convert the line back to normal.

However, if the present owners do not use computers, it is unlikely they have Home Highway, as that is a digital service.

If there is a DACS on the line, they wouldn't necessarily know. The unit could be on a pole or underground.

Pineman100 10:34 26 Mar 2009

Do you know whether it would cost me anything, if a BT engineer had to do what you suggest?

Graham. 14:52 26 Mar 2009

I would hope not. As you're moving house, I would expect BT to provide you with a 'normal' line that can deliver broadband.

Call them on 150.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?