What do you think of the website

jcotton 21:25 30 May 2006

Hi all,

What do you think of click here

Please bear in mind its still not 100% complete

Cheers

ade.h 22:21 30 May 2006

Interesting subject; I had to read the info to find out what Tchoukball is all about. I must admit that I'm not keen on team sports, though.

Anyway:

Firstly, your site doesn't centre in Firefox. This is because you usually need to use tables to achieve centreing in current builds. One full width table is sufficient.

The background is a bit "in your face", particularly for those of us with high res screens who will see a lot of it. Perhaps tone it down a bit.

Your punctuation needs a bit of tidying up. The Tchoukball description in particular.

You're going to get a lot of spam from that email link. See recent discussions on how to minimise this. I now use a contact form on my sites with the addition of some extra PHP code that prevents the use of the form for sending spam.

ade.h 22:26 30 May 2006

Oh, and every page has one of only two titles, where each should be unique and relevant.

mco 23:33 30 May 2006

I didn't know what tchoukball is, but now I do - so thanks! I think you should warn people on the tchoukball page that they are going to get a pdf file opening up when they click on the charter/rules of the game/referees' indications - as it comes as a surprise if you are expecting a page link.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:41 31 May 2006

To add to ade.h, it also does not centre in Opera9.

Neillur 20:25 31 May 2006

how do you pronounce tchoukball lol nice website centreing of the table would be nice and in my opinion too many animation package gif's. Some original graphics/photos of the game would be nice but youve hit the most important aim of a website- good content . :)

acsmanhtml12 08:11 01 Jun 2006

It's still all table's that you have created the site in with some CSS. My site (undergoing development) has <divs> to create the classes, and then just pure CSS to style them. Also test the CSS on your PC open up the index.htm file and then remove the CSS link and see how the page looks. If you then take a look at your page see what difference the CSS dowe make. Also it is probably a CSS problem causing the no centre. Try going to the web standards and have them check it. If they come back and say i isn't valid markup then change it until both the CSS and (X)HTML are valid. I also noticed there is no DOCTYPE at the start of your page, if there wa the CSS would be followed as strict!

ade.h 15:15 01 Jun 2006

Re: the centreing issue. This is not a CSS problem, but is due to how Firefox handles dynamic page layout with hidden tables (as used by NOF among others). It is a particular problem with NOF sites, though others can suffer as well, and only arose with Firefox build 1.0.6 onwards. It is cured by using tables that you create yourself rather than relying on the dynamic layout's automatic creation of tables. NOF does not support CSS except for text formatting; object formatting has to be done with tables or a fixed page layout using layers.

Its a little hard on the eyes, but maybe Im just getting old.

acsmanhtml12 08:15 02 Jun 2006

ade.h
If it dosen't support CSS then Do It Yourself. I have a older version of COffeeCup and it dosen't support CSS. I put it in a text editor and created the code to link it back to an style sheet i.e. stlye.css
I then hand coded the whole of the style sheet.

jcotton 10:37 02 Jun 2006

I would just like to say thankyou for everyones input. All suggestions shall be taken on board

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?