WHAT DO YOU DO ?

littlestan 08:29 05 Jul 2009

Hi everyone - a very simple question. Is it best to switch a lappy right off every day or is it safe to leave it in hibernate so its quicker to get going when needed? Not sure if damage is done if it is not switched right off all the time?

thans LS

birdface 09:01 05 Jul 2009

If I am going to use it later I just switch it on to Hibernate.If I am not going to use it later I switch it off.Whether it would do any damage keeping it on Hibernate I do not know.But a good question to ask.I am sure we are all interested on the answer.

johndrew 10:35 05 Jul 2009

I believe the general opinion is to only leave a PC in Hibernate?standby for relatively short periods and to switch off at the mains overnight.

This avoids excessive use of power, the risk of fire and damage in the event of a mains supply surge.

It also makes it more difficult for any data corruption in the event of failure instances when unattended.

littlestan 13:01 05 Jul 2009

thank you both. Its a strange phenomena because I find if I havent use my lappy all week because i use one at work, and then fire him up at the weekend it takes forever to boot up and I get an endless black screen (a question I have posed in helproom) but when it finally springs to life, if i use it by hibernating from early am to late pm then the old soul comes to life fairly quickly.

Just wondered if not using it all week might be one cause of it being slow to boot! I dont know why how etc - all this stuff beyond me - but like to keep up with it all as best as I can ...considering and thanks for the help. LS

johndrew 13:06 05 Jul 2009

`Just wondered if not using it all week might be one cause of it being slow to boot!`

If it is idle all week, what is the battery state when you boot?

Could it be the battery is low and taking a charge at boot (assuming you have it on the mains at this point) which is slowing things down.

Have you tried putting it on charge for an hour or so before you boot?

Peter 17:02 05 Jul 2009

Perhaps, as the computer has been off for a week, it's a bit slow booting up because it is downloading anti-virus updates, which could be quite large after a week, and doing a defrag, which was scheduled for sometime during the week, but had to wait until the computer was switched on.

Are there any other scheduled items, which may have had to wait until the computer was switched on?

Peter.

littlestan 17:03 05 Jul 2009

thanks John Drew. It was dreadful this morning. It let me sign in, did my password and then instead of going straight into it boot up the screen never got off black. I did ctrl alt del and that screen fired up ok. Anyway switched it off and when it came back on it booted up much quicker and I have on and oft it again and it was ok.

It seems not to like being off for a while. Perhaps i will do as you suggest and put the power on for an hour or so before i actually switch it on after its been off for a while. When in hibernate it is cool and comes back ok but I always switch right off each day after use. Never use it without it being on the mains so would have thought battery would have been ok. Thanks for trying to help. LS

littlestan 17:08 05 Jul 2009

Hi Peter, I'm an absolute noodle when it comes to this stuff and have no idea whats going on when its not on. I have all the usual free stuff to protect the lappy - someone on the forum suggested i go to start type in misconfg in the search menu - which I did and it is set as normal and on another tab i counted 30 things which I assume open at start up. Only two were ones i did not recognise particularly which was something along the lines of symac(?) which i assume is norton which i unistalled when i had the lappy.

Its a real worry and puzzle but when its going its fine and does seem to get worse the longer i leave it unused. thanks for trying to sort me out. LS

johndrew 20:25 05 Jul 2009

Just a thought. When was the last time you ran a Registry cleaner or defragged the HDD? It may be clutter as well.

DieSse 15:29 06 Jul 2009

I'm not sure Hibernate has anything to do with switching off.

On my desktop, I can put the system into Hibernate - switch it off, unplug it - move to a different location, plug it in, switch it on - and it comes out of Hibernation. ie - they are not really related.

Hibernation simply saves the operating status, and returns to it.

It isn't a power status, though it is normally linked to a power saving mode. It always uses less power if you turn a system off/unplug from the mains, than putting it into a sleep mode, whether Hibernation or not.

If you turn off a hibernatiing system though, it will have to boot up normally and restore the last pre-hibernation state - which is likely to take longer.

bobbybowls 19:42 06 Jul 2009

i think you are confusing standby and hibernation.

standby puts your pc into a low power state. it shuts down the screen, hard drives etc but still uses a small amount of power.

Hibernate writes the current state of your pc to the hard drive, then restores that state when you start your pc again. it is the same as switching it off, only the pc does not do a full start from cold, but resumes where it left off. it does not use any power when hibernated.

my laptop is set to hibernate when i close the lid or the battery is flat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017