What do you consider to be best anti-virus program

Housten 17:44 24 Jun 2017

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen, My wife and I have just had a very bad experience with our current anti-virus programme. I would like to know what you consider to be a good and reliable programme - and hopefully one that is free!!

I know that many of you will use different ones, but the wife and I would like one that we can trust.

Many, many thanks in anticipation of any replies. Thank you for reading this.

rdave13 18:11 24 Jun 2017

This is very debatable nowadays so I'll tread carefully. I'm running Windows 10 with its own Defender as antivirus. Coupled with that is Malwarebytes Premium which has to be paid for annually. That's it, no other security software. This set-up is on three laptops. Haven't run a free antivirus third party software for a few years now as I have no need for them. Others might disagree but it works well for me and my browsing habits... that can be sometimes a bit risky when looking for free Apps.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:49 24 Jun 2017

If your paying then Kaspersky (free if you bank with Barclays).

If you want free the probably Avira or Avast ( although the pop ups from Avast are getting worse.)

rdave13 20:05 24 Jun 2017

I have tried Kakpercy.. umm I mean Kaspersky and found it to be the worse security suite ever. Norton in the early 2000's was better and that is saying something.

john bunyan 20:11 24 Jun 2017

I am a clone of rdave13's protection; no problems for years.

Jollyjohn 21:34 24 Jun 2017

Linux......Oooops, shouldn't open that can of worms again...

Seriously, free antivirus, Avast or Avira, used to be AVG but that has got a bit bloated recently.

My local repair shop puts Bullguard on any PC / laptop when it re installs an OS and it appears OK.

Using a limited account, as opposed to an administrator account, will ask for a password before changes can be made to the PC, this may be annoying at times but will at least alert you to potential changes to the PC

rdave13 22:02 24 Jun 2017

Jollyjohn If I ever used a local repair shop and they dared to put any security app on it I would be not be amused to say the least. That scenario is unlikely though.

Using a limited account is simply impractical as you know.

rdave13 22:04 24 Jun 2017

By the way, Linux falls under Tech Advisor surely Jollyjohn ?

bumpkin 22:14 24 Jun 2017

* My wife and I have just had a very bad experience with our current anti-virus programme*

We don't know what you were using but I have used Avast for many years without problems.

rdave13 22:27 24 Jun 2017

We don't know what you were using but I have used Avast for many years without problems.

And so did I. If your'e still not having problems with AVAST then keep using it. Each to their own. I ditched Avast as soon as they revealed they 'phone home' on your scan results with no options to stop.

Housten 12:08 25 Jun 2017

Good Afternoon, Gentlemen,

Many, many thanks to everyone who replied. The trouble we had was with avast smart scan, otherwise it seemed all right and we have ha for soe years. Our smart scan licence lasts until the end of November an we will NOT be re-newing it, I can assure you. There are so many anti-virus programmes out there I was just wondering what people on this web-site were using. It is a great comfort to find out what is being used in the real world. We haven't decided, as yet, what we will do. I am just about to send an email to avast and their reply will determine our re-action.

Once again, many, many thanks to everyone who replied to my request for help.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?