What do the mah rattings on batteries mean

Nessie 08:43 08 Aug 2004

I am wanting to buy some rechargable batteries for my digital camera. They go from 600MaH to 2400 mah. can someone explain the difference. Thanks

Bagsey 08:50 08 Aug 2004

mah stands for milli amp hour. So if you have 2000mah batteries then they will(should) allow you to use the power at the rate of 1amp for 2 hours i.e. 2hour battery life or pro rata. So the highrer the mah the longer the batteries will power your camera between charges. Of course they should last longer as you camera will not use power at that rate. More functions on the camera means more power needed. If you leave the screen on all of the time your batteries will not last aslong as if you used the screen only when needed. Sorry if this is long winded but I hope it helps.

cga 09:16 08 Aug 2004

Just to add a little to the information from Bagsey.

Mah ratings are normally only quoted for rechargable batteries. These are not, as you might think, the total charge that they hold but the charge that is available until the power output of the battery drops below a certain level. As you use the power in a battery the power output (ooomph, voltage, however you want to put it) drops.

This may sound very technical but the effect is that some devices will be able to use more charge than other.

The big difference between Alkaline batteries and NiMH rechargables is that the power level in alkaline starts a little higher but starts to drop of almost straight away in direct proportion to the remaining charge (a straight line graph). On the other hand a NiMH starts a little lower but the power level drops very little until the battery is nearly used up.

For digital cameras that need a good level of power output you will find that rechageables give a much longer effective life because they maintain a high power output much longer.

You will be able to see this if you take any battery that will no longer drive a digital camera and use it in something else with a lower power drain (i.e. a clock). it will work fine but the alkaline will have more power left.

Nessie 09:42 08 Aug 2004

Thanks for all the help now I am off to the shops.
Cheers

Graham ® 09:56 08 Aug 2004

I use Uniross 1800 in my camera. About £30 for 4 with charger from Currys.

March Hare 10:58 08 Aug 2004

Some interesting information on this subject:

click here

Stuartli 11:19 08 Aug 2004

I bought my Ultra Fast NiMH battery charger for £11.75 including VAT from CPC in Preston (click here) - it's exactly the same one that Jessops rebrands under its own name for £19.99 including four rechargeable batteries.

You can buy rechargeable NiMH batteries at just under £10 for eight at Dixons (under its own brand name).

The one thing I have noticed (quite by chance) is that when I charge four NiMH batteries together and, after the green light comes on, if I switch two of them to the two-battery position the red light reappears.

So I therefore recharge each pair separately, which takes about another 25-30 minutes per pair.

It could be that the charger's "intelligent" sensor misreads the fact that the four batteries' charging has been not been fully completed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?