What Do I Need To Upgrade When Upgrading My Tower?

newt_69_ 19:18 31 Jul 2003

Hi, am am thinking about upgrading my system as you will find it is slow and 'out-dated'! But i do not know what i will have to uprgade inside my tower to keep it working correctly?!?

Currently i have a computer with the following spec.: 900AMD Duron Processor, 128Mb SDRAM, 20 Gig Hard Drive(about 18gigs used up) 16 Mb 3D TNT AGP Video Card, 16 Bit Sound, Bog standard 56k modem, but i have broadband so it does not get used, K7T motherboard with USB, all inside my midi Tower case!

I know i've included more than i needed to, but really i have no idea upon what i need to upgrade to make it better!

So could anyone please tell me what i need to upgrade and any other sub parts i need to upgrade to keep it running correctly?
Thanks =0)

Rayuk 19:26 31 Jul 2003

Bigger hard drive, more memory and if you can trace one an Athlon 1.4GHz[200fsb]

One thing you forgot to mention,what do you use your pc for

Belatucadrus 19:33 31 Jul 2003

It depends what you do with it, unless you're into resource hungry games or video editing, the spec you have should be OK for most applications. I'd suggest an upgrade on the Video card and a major league spring clean and perhaps a reformat click here

newt_69_ 19:42 31 Jul 2003

i can get a AThlon 2400+ (200Mhz) (133/266 Mhz FSB) for £75, is that it?

Smiler 19:58 31 Jul 2003

the KT7 motherboard will take an athlon1.4ghz max it will NOT take anything larger.

Rayuk 19:59 31 Jul 2003

No.. you need the older type Athlons at 200bus.
Computer fairs or auctions your best bet.Watch you dont get the 266fsb

ade.h 00:28 01 Aug 2003

The fewer parts you change at any one time, the better. That way, if a part is incompatible or faulty, you'll know which one.

DieSse 01:03 01 Aug 2003

You are probably better of selling what you have and buying new - because

You want a faster system = motherboard, CPU, more and faster RAM

Your Disk drive is nearly full = new hard drive

Faster CPU = need for a bigger power supply

You have an elderly graphics card = new graphics card

So what have you got left - an old CD drive, and old floppy - and a case = peanuts to replace.

So instead of doing a half-hearted upgrade, and being left with a pile of useless parts - sell them as a working starter system, and get a complete new tower.

Smiler 10:27 01 Aug 2003

Again this is marked as solved but we would like to know what has solved the problem.
Also you can get an AMD Duron 1.3MHz 200fsb pocessor for £26.90 from dabs.com (Qucklinx No 16g8ws. You could then try overclocking it for more performance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone