What do i need to go wireless?

jack regan 08:41 12 Feb 2006

I have recently purchased a laptop which has built-in wi-fi (802.11b/g).

I am currently on Virgin broadband via an ADSL/USB thingy into my PC (sorry don't know all the technical names).

I am looking to get rid of my PC and just surf the net via my laptop without the need to be sat by my telephone socket.

I understand I may need a router. I have been given numerous pieces of advice from various shops and I am concerned they are trying to rip me off. Can someone please clarify a) if what I want to do is possible, and b) what type of router if any do i need?

Look forward to some help. Thanks

rmcqua 08:46 12 Feb 2006

Yes, what you want to do is possible and straightforward. You need to replace your USB ADSL modem with what is known as a wireless gateway or wireless access point. There is a huge choice available. Any of the ones in this link should do the job.click here

northend boy 09:01 12 Feb 2006

I think what is needed is an ADSL WiFi router if jack regan is to get rid of his adsl/usb modem. Like these from novatech click here.

jack regan 09:28 12 Feb 2006

many thanks guys

Diodorus Siculus 09:31 12 Feb 2006

Get a modem/router in one.

A laptop may come wi-fi enabled; if not you can add a wi-fi card to it.

Connect router to laptop with a cable first off to configure the router.

Then enable the wi-fi card on the laptop.

It's all pretty straightforward.

When buying a laptop, if it is intel based, it's likely to have centrino certification which means the wi-fi is built in.

northend boy 10:45 12 Feb 2006

This click here or this click here would do the job with ease.

As your laptop is WiFi enabled. I would disconnect the existing modem. Connect the new router to the telephone and power lines. Pop the installation disk in the computer. Connect the WiFi router to the tower via ethernet cable. Follow the instructions from the disk. Input your isp details. The tower should then be connected to the net.

While it is connected enable the wifi on the laptop, scan for network, connect to network. You should then be able to browse.

Take ethernet cable from the tower and router. Switch tower off. You should now be able to surf wirelessly.

Don't forget to secure the network.

As Diodorus Siculus says it is very easy to setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?