What do I do I make my PC faster and better?

Southworth 19:16 07 Mar 2014
Answered

click here are my specs atm. What can I do to make my pc handle high end graphics and also be quicker with loading applications but not spend more than £500.

Would i need to upgrade my RAM?

I know i need a new graphics card but what price range/brands are good?

Would i need to improve my cpu to make it quicker at loading etc?

I have had the computer for 2 years now and added a secondary hardrive of 1Tb, total 2tb, Would this be the reason why my computer is slow? with all the memory it has to handle? Should i wipe and start again?

These

martd7 19:25 07 Mar 2014

Thats a pretty good spec only thing id be tempted to upgrade is the graphics card to a 7series nvidia gtx,wiping a drive always makes for faster loading times as its empty,no programs to load etc you could install an ssd that would certainly make windows load faster

Southworth 20:02 07 Mar 2014

the link is just to a 'puush' which copies the page, no spam :/

Southworth 20:04 07 Mar 2014

is it easy to wipe a hardrive? and i have heard that you would have to use a master and slave method if i was going to install a SSD. Is this easy? As you can tell im not 100% confident in my skills

Ian in Northampton 20:30 07 Mar 2014

Jock1e: are you taking pills for your paranoia? :-)

Ian in Northampton 20:36 07 Mar 2014
Answer

... but seriously...

After a while, just about every PC slows down, as it accumulates crap. It's a fact of life in the Windows world, and the only real cure is to start again - as mart7 says, by wiping the drive, and doing a fresh install of Windows. That will take your PC back to its ex-factory speed. As mart7 says, you already have a good machine - but you could improve it with a better graphics card and, possibly, an SSD. An SSD will certainly give you faster boot times and faster program loads - it won't (generally) otherwise speed up your machine. But if you're gonna do a fresh install of Windows, it might be a good time to add an SSD and install Windows on that. Personally, I think 8GB of memory is fine for most applications, including gaming.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?