What disc should I use for System Backup?

D Bird 17:24 15 Dec 2007

Yesterday I tried to get onto the internet and my new PC came up with the dialog box: The Settings we were attempting to process are corrupted and unusable. Restoring and Backup may solve the problem.
Details : [ZKCHUNKREADER::ZKCHUNKREADER][DESC:CORRUPT FILE C:\PROGRAM DATA\VIRGIN BROADBAND\ PC GUARD\FREEDOM.DAT]
The entire system then shut down.
Internet Explorer has since been reinstalled and it seems to be ok at the minute?? As I'm new to this computer lark can anyone enlighten me about the above?

Also the PC has since suggested I create a system back-up. The disc drive is a SATA DVD RW drive with lightscribe technology. I need to go out and get some discs to do this. What are discs should I be using? Are there dedicated ones for system backups?

Thanks in advance.

Sheik Yerbouti 17:29 15 Dec 2007

Any blank DVD +/-R media will do for backups,(I think DVD -R is more common), but if the stuff to be backed up is important, I would look for the brands Verbatim or TaiyoYuden, for best results.

D Bird 17:35 15 Dec 2007

Thanks for that.

It's a complete System backup I'm looking to do so I'll look for those brands you suggested.

By the way, do you know the difference between the + and - R discs? Is one better than the other?

Sheik Yerbouti 17:45 15 Dec 2007

click here
Difference.. -R is more compatible with home DVD players, than +R. But for Data backups, +R Dual Layer might be a better choice. Research you DVD writer online, to see if it supports dual layer disks, and if so, go for DVD +R DL.

D Bird 17:53 15 Dec 2007

Will check out details for the writer.

Thanks for the advice.

Diemmess 17:57 15 Dec 2007

Have you considered buying a powered case with a USB connection to your PC?

If you have an old HD with at least 40Gb capacity to mount inside, you have all you need for an external HD which in my view is a great way to store backed up and other precious data against the day when you may need it badly!

D Bird 18:02 15 Dec 2007

That sounds like a great idea and I'll bear that in mind but as this is mt first Pc i may have to leave that til I get my next one - thanks!

tullie 18:32 15 Dec 2007

Yes,get an external usb drive,they arent expensive,much better idea than using disks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?