What difference will 24mbps make to my life?

N5 girl 18:40 21 Jun 2006

I am one of those 'lucky' souls that lives next door to the exchange and has access to broadband at 24mbps. Right now I do not think I need it but please could someone explain to me what difference it makes.

I understand that dial-up and broadband is like b&w tv and colour tv but what are the greater broadband speeds used for - is it just to download files quicker? Can you achieve things with 24mbps that can't be done with 1/2/8 mbps etc...?

Apologies if someone has already asked this elsewhere...

ade.h 18:52 21 Jun 2006

Not a lot, really.

Out in the real world, where servers are often over-worked at peak times and have finite bandwidth, there is only so much that one can expect from them. Even on a humble 8Mb connection, I often see a lot of variations between servers. One will fly along, while another will plainly not be using my connection speed to the fullest.

And what are you downloading?
Music - not much difference.
Video - advantageous, pending the above comments.
Webpages - diddly squat.

N5 girl 19:01 21 Jun 2006

Right now I am not downloading a whole lot but that is because I have been able to do pretty much what I want at work. However what I would like to be able to download is legal video and also benefit from high definition broadcasts where possible.

In this instance would it make much of a difference?

I don't plan on getting the 24 service now - but I do want to know as much as possible before making any choices.

ade.h 19:28 21 Jun 2006

Like I say, for video - above caveats aside - it would be advantageous. Likewise for high-bandwidth streams.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?