What is the difference between DVD-R & DVD-RAM

hssutton 21:11 03 Apr 2003

Have just been doing a lot of reading about the differences between dvd-r & dvd-ram disks. I am refering to the newer 4.7Gb single sided dvd-ram disks. Unfortunately I'm now more confused. can anyone explain in simple terms, please

Qmar 21:40 03 Apr 2003

( cannot vouch for but have a look)
click here

tamc98 21:56 03 Apr 2003

Think VHS v Betamax. Which ever you chose another format will be along soon to spoil it all.

Gaz W 22:33 03 Apr 2003

What's more important is which technology will "win". Is this the same as the + and - DVD media. As far as I'm aware, it's just the way it writes it to the disc - the end result is exactly the same. I could be wrong though...

If one technology is preferred (like VHS was), would that mean that the other would be unavailable, or more expensive?

Gaz W 22:40 03 Apr 2003

I don't really understand any of this myself (properly), but what I mean is it doesn't matter what you get as long as it does the job and the media is cheap and will still be readily available in the future. I am looking to get a DVD writer myself at some stage, and the main thing I want to be able to do is play back DVDs in my DVD player (recording from a TV card) and also in DVD-ROMs.

crx16 23:41 03 Apr 2003

DVD-RAM discs are like a 4.7GB floppy disk,housed in a caddy,and formatted FAT32 like a hard drive.they wont work in most DVD-ROM drives.

no software required to burn,it just appears as another hard-drive(removable) in 'my computer'.

DVD-R discs are like a 4.7GB CD-R, write once and play back in most DVD-ROM drives.

hssutton 09:56 04 Apr 2003

Thanks crx16

Got it sorted, when I installed my drive I noticed the extra drive DVD-RAM "G" but did not take too much notice at the time.
Are you saying that your DVD-rams disks are in a caddy, the newer types are just plain disks similar to DVD-R.
So it now begs the question, what's the point, as I can format a DVD-RW or a DVD-R and use drag 'n drop.
I have been using DVD-R via Drag 'n Drop to archive all my photographic files.

After reading the link provided by Qmar I realised That I had phrased the question incorrectly.

The analogy with VHS and Betamax is not relevant to this question.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?