What did my ISP do?

rdave13 00:26 04 Aug 2006

Just a few minitues ago AOL decided to shut down. Then without warning my PC sort of crashed, screen went black and it then rebooted. Got the windows serious error report which I sent after logging on. It said that America On Line new of this error and were working on it. Set windows to track error.

Any way have been getting poor speeds since adsl max and have complained several times about this. My last resort was to ask for MAC number as I was going to leave AOL. They asked for one more try to correct this and just after what happened my bb speed has increased by nearly 1.5 meg.
So any thoughts about what they did? If the speed is stable now then I'll be happy with it.

CurlyWhirly 11:22 05 Aug 2006

"My last resort was to ask for MAC number as I was going to leave AOL."

I never thought I would see you say that!

Anyway, I'm glad your problem appears to be sorted now ;)

rdave13 17:21 05 Aug 2006

Thanks for your reply CurlyWhirly. The speed seems stable now at 4 meg, so I'll stay for now. Just a pity that sometimes you have to threaten to leave just to get a result.

Had a look at the error tracking and it was AOL's connectivity problem that's been resolved now. I'm also using D-Link ethernet modem DSL-300T instead of BT's voyager 105 so less of a load for the PC.

CurlyWhirly 23:39 05 Aug 2006

"Just a pity that sometimes you have to threaten to leave just to get a result."

I had to leave AOL as they wouldn't put me on to Max.

Anyway, I think you made a wise choice moving to ethernet as it is so much more reliable compared to a USB modem.

rdave13 23:48 05 Aug 2006

Just out of curiosity how do you find Zen as an ISP? Any good? How does the download limit affect you.

Still haven't burnt my bridges yet but hearing that AOL are going to leave Europe as an ISP was wondering if this is the right time to leave a sinking ship so to speak?

CurlyWhirly 08:26 06 Aug 2006

I can't fault Zen as I had a few issues with Max when I first went on it back in May and they bent over backwards to help me.
They have excellent customer service and technical support.

I have no issues with Max now as I have a stable connection thank goodness.

The download limit doesn't affect me as I have never used 10 GB let alone 20 as I'm not into P2P and am therefore a relatively 'light' user.

The most I have ever used is around 8 GB.
By the way, only downloads are counted as uploads are unlimited.

Yes there is a rumour that AOL are leaving Europe and so there is a question mark over it's future certainly.

p.s. it's a little off topic but you did ask LOL

harri103 22:51 08 Aug 2006

Rdave13
you say you use a 300t modem with aol could you please tell me how i can configure it to work with aol?

rdave13 16:15 09 Aug 2006

After much head banging this is how I did it.

Log on through IE with click here Type

"admin" for login name and "admin" for password. The password can be changed later on. Click setup tab....click connection tab...in connection menue type username and password (For AOL.)

On the top right box where it shows pppoa click on the arrow and pick BRIDGE. The page will change. Click apply tab....click tools tab...click system commands tab..then click save all tab. Make sure that "obtain an IP address automatically in the internet Protocol(TCP/IP)" is ticked in properties window.(Last instruction in booklet.)under the general tab of the Local Area Connection Properties menue.

rdave13 16:17 09 Aug 2006

Sorry the click here is http: //192.168.1.1 without the space...:)

harri103 16:42 09 Aug 2006

THANKS Rdave13!

it just started working now a load of use the dlink manual was.

thanks again for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?