What is "Debian Etch"?

grumpy-git 15:18 08 Nov 2007

Just had an e-mail from my web host:-

Please be advised that we shall be upgrading our Linux platform to the latest version of Debian Etch. The upgrade shall take place mid-January 2008.

You are receiving this email because your web space contains self-compiled / third-party binary files, which may no longer function properly following the upgrade.>>

This means nothing to me, I haven't heard of Debian Etch before. Can anybody explain simply what it's all about & what will & won't work with it?

g-g

bowman 13:25 09 Nov 2007

I'm not sure what the effect will be on your setup but this is what they are talking about :

click here

Its a newer (updated) version of a Linux OS

grumpy-git 14:35 09 Nov 2007

Thanks bowman.

I had already searched a few sites to try & understand it more, but really it all goes over my head.

My sites are mostly built using NetObjects Fusion, I also use a Coppermine photo gallery & phpBB message boards. Am I likely to have any problems do you think?

bowman 17:59 09 Nov 2007

I'm still learning Linux myself.....

But by reading your post (third party binary files) I would think that you would have no problems with NetObjects? it maybe that problems may arise through phpBB message boards??

I could be totaly wrong? I'm sure that someone will know more about this and maybe of more help to you.

Hoefuly you will have NO problems.

bowman

bowman 18:01 09 Nov 2007

oops....

That should read "hopefully"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?