What CPU should I use?

Patientedd 23:51 01 May 2009

Hi,

I have recently added 2GB of RAM to total 4GB of RAM and a new grapics card, ATI 4850 IGB.

Since making the upgrade to my new graphics card my PC has slowed down considerably, which confuses me as it's a good graphics card and works great on World of Warcraft. The problem is whenever I open a program (word, excel, mozilla, etc...) it takes forever and never used to, the biggest problem is when I boot my PC, it can take minutes to even get to the welcome screen. My processor is an E6300 and my motherboard is a P5LD2-SE, I figure I need to change my CPU now and would like to know what I should get, I am happy to spend around £150 and have been advised to get a E8400 but wondered if there is anything better?

Any advice would be good.

Thanks,

Edd

Stuartli 23:59 01 May 2009

More likely to be a requirement for a more powerful PSU - certainly not the CPU.

Check what the power requirements are for the graphics card, along with your current PSU's wattage rating and ability to cope with any demands on it.

woodchip 00:07 02 May 2009

2 gig of ram should be all most people need all my computers other than a hp laptop run with 512mb ram my hp laptop as 1 gig in it and none of them is slow.

PS I do not use Vista, Win98se and XP Home on all comps, 98se dual booted on one desktop with XP

PPS I do not do games much

Patientedd 17:11 02 May 2009

Can I have any size PSU or do I have a limit on the size I should use?

Stuartli 18:21 02 May 2009

There is no limit with regard to total wattage (better too much than too little), but quality rather than quantity is just as important.

In other words, PSUs by top brands such as Enermax will deliver the performance expected, in contrast to lower cost equivalents.

Patientedd 20:40 02 May 2009

Thanks Stuartli. I'm going to give this a go first, my current PSU is 600watt but I don't think it is anything special.

Would this be any good click here

Geeksy 20:51 02 May 2009

The Coolermaster PSU is ideal for your setup and will give ideal power for your system. Also make sure you have good cooling in your case.

OTT_Buzzard 20:55 02 May 2009

600W of almost any brand PSU should be more than sufficient to run your rig, assuming you're not using it in an 80°C ambient!

Have you updated to latest driver level and Catalyst Control Center?

Stuartli 23:53 02 May 2009

I have an ATi card, but I only use the basic ATi display driver (downloadable from the ATi website at click here) plus ATi Tray Tools, rather than the bloated Catalyst software.

Tray Tools offers just as much versatility without the excess baggage as far as I'm concerned. See;

click here

Geeksy 09:55 03 May 2009

I dont think its something to do with the GPU,I think its something to do with ram.
Have you tried loading your pc up with just 1 stick of ram in?
Are the sticks of ram the same type/make/model?
Also if there was a GPU card installed before, did u uninstall the cards drivers before you installed the new GPU card?
What PSU are you using at the mo.? (Make/Model)

Patientedd 11:02 03 May 2009

Ok. 1st cooling is good everything running around 40°C. I have downloaded the Catalyst software and believe I have got the latest drivers installed on it.

Geeksy the RAM is all the same Kingston Hyper X KHX6400D2/1G. Haven't tried with 1 stick in. Interestingly I didn't uninstall the old drivers before installing the new GPU. My PSU is an FSP600-80GLN.

Should I go ahead and uninstall the old drivers?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone