what CPU have i got ?

bluetit 16:06 01 Jan 2003
  bluetit 16:06 01 Jan 2003

i bought a laptop from higrade in sept. 02 and i need to know how i can verify what CPU has been installed ?
the spec. i req. was a 1.8ghz intel pentium 4 mobile processor,384m ddr ram,40gb hard disk with dvd/cd rewriter.
iv'e started to notice that when i first switch on the laptop there is briefly displayed all sorts of tech. info. before windows xp starts up and the first of the pages that flashes briefly up appears to show a lessor spec. than i ordered.
it comes up with :Intel(R)Pentium(R)4MobileCPU, 1.2GHz.
iv'e tried switching it on many times and sometimes it does indeed come up with it showing as a 1.8GHz CPU but the majority of the time it shows up as 1.2GHz !
i'm new to computers and this is my first one so i like to get my facts straight before i start complaining to Hi-Grade.
how can i positively verify what CPU is actually installed or should i just get them to take it back and check it themselves ?

barrie_g 16:09 01 Jan 2003

go to START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS/ SYSTEM INFORMATION it will tell you there what processor you have.

beastieboy 16:11 01 Jan 2003

Or just right click on 'My Computer' on the desktop if you have it.

leedaz 16:28 01 Jan 2003

click here

bluetit, I've used this little program in the past to identify components.Hope it helps

mikeyb59 17:26 01 Jan 2003

Don't forget, CPU speed may vary depending on power source (battery/mains). My Dell laptop does this.

worf 18:16 01 Jan 2003

Click the following link and download
Karen's Computer Profiler

click here

When you have it loaded clcik the CPU tab and it will tell you. Oh by the way its freeware

BlueMeanie 16:49 02 Jan 2003

The following link is a small free AMD CPU ID info utility. Just takes a few seconds to dodwnload and although it is a AMD program it gives info on Cyrix, Intel etc CPU's. I often use this utility to check other peoples computers.

click here

Use the first and second utilities listed ie AMD CPU ID and AMD CPU Information Display Utility ( I find this second utility simplier to use)

Regards, and a prosperous New Year

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone