what chip

  caast©? 23:04 14 Jul 2004

My friend has been given a PC not working and asked me to take a look.

I cannot get it to boot having changed the Graphics card, and Memory, so decided to see what chip, as this appeared to be the last thing to try. However all the writing has just about rubbed off so I cannot tell what chip needs replacing. I think it is a P4 but cannot tell, I am just going by the fact that all the pins are present (square) as opposed to the diagonal corner missing, with which you line it up.

I also took the hard drive out and put it in another PC and got the dreaded blue screen which states there may be a virus on it and windows has shut down.

I ran fdisk from my start up disk but noticed the drivers were loaded onto the virtual drive C: and reading D: gave me no results. Any way Fdisk stated that 3% was NTFS and the other 97% MS-Dos which confused me and I was not sure if I could delete and re-format as Dos as I want to install win 98.

Can anyone help with how to identify the Chip, and the hard drive problem. Thanks M

  TomJerry 00:02 15 Jul 2004

click here. There are a lot of diagnostic tools on this CD. The program AIDA16 will find all hardware information for you. There are also Antivirus Tools on this CD as well.

  caast©? 19:13 15 Jul 2004

Perhaps I have not explained myself too well?

The PC came to me dead, I cannot get it to boot, i.e. with new graphics and memory, inserted and now want to try the chip, but cannot tell what type of chip it is, AMD, P4, Celeron.

I am just presuming it is P4 but lettering is rubbed out.

All I have to go on the Motherboard is the letters WB72 RBV A1. All the searches I have done for this has produced no results, so I do not know what make it is.

The hard drive is another issue presented to me when I try'd it out in my own PC,

Any help will be gratefully received for both problems, M

  marjted 21:09 15 Jul 2004

Translated a German forum page which suggested that the RBV should read rEv A1 .... i.e. "revision"

A search in Google with this alteration then gave a number of possible links - mentioning P4 in one instance - which may offer some help to you.

Good hunting

  caast©? 21:14 15 Jul 2004

Thanks marjted, It is P4, first thing to do now is have it checked, and see if it needs replacing, if so I think I'm almost there. Cheers M

  ollie < one> 01:37 16 Jul 2004


  caast©? 20:12 16 Jul 2004

I have had the chip at a couple of computer stores, who have never seen one before and advise me that it is a P4 that has been modified to fit the board. As they have nothing in which to check I have to presume it does not work, having checked memory and graphics, and start with a new board and chip.

I will therefore just mark this resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?