What can I do with this camera?

s99Raj 12:40 13 Jun 2007

I have what looks like a web cam.

On it, it says it's a Sony Color Video Camera, Model CCD-Z8E, but I can't seem to find much on the Net as to exactly what it is and what I can do with it.

It has one male socket with 8 pins on it; what does this plug into?

(I found this camera in the loft, by the way, with a pile of other stuff which has been there for a while.)

rodriguez 12:46 13 Jun 2007

From what I can can gather from the very few (and foreign) eBay listings, it looks like a CCTV camera that plugs into an S-VHS recorder.

rodriguez 12:48 13 Jun 2007

Also I would imagine the 8 pins are as follows

2 for power
2 for video signal
maybe 2 for audio if it has a mic
and 2 for some other purpose, possibly motion detection or unused

But it's anyone's guess as which pin carries which signal. Interesting find that is.

s99Raj 12:52 13 Jun 2007

So I need a Video Recorder with the correct 8-pin connection? Is that right? And then I could use it as a CCTV recorder?

Roughly how much are they going for on e-Bay, albeit foreign sites?

rodriguez 13:01 13 Jun 2007

Yes you would, normally CCTV S-VHS machines are bigger than standard machines and are cream in colour instead of black or silver. They take S-VHS tapes which are exactly the same as VHS tapes, just they have much higher quality (so standard VHS tapes will fit it). I found a recorder for $70 on eBay from th USA, but it will record in NTSC format instead of PAL so you'd need a VCR that can play back both formats (most modern ones do). click here

s99Raj 13:06 13 Jun 2007

Thank you for that!

I don't think this camera's much use to me - I'll probably just chuck it in the charity bag.

woodchip 16:43 13 Jun 2007

Is it this? click here
If so as above it's a Industrial Video Camera

woodchip 16:44 13 Jun 2007

Is it this? click here
If so as above it's a Industrial Video Camera

s99Raj 20:21 13 Jun 2007

No, it's this one :

click here

woodchip 15:49 14 Jun 2007

Yes its for putting on a shelf in a shop to monitor people and shoplifters

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?