What to buy when buying an External Hardrive

norwich 11:37 26 Oct 2010

Please could someone adise me I would like to get a Ext hardrive and would like to know what would be best, at the moment I am running with XP and was thinking that if I where to buy another PC with say 7 could I still transfer files or would that be a problem. If you could tell me what would be the best make to go for.

Thanks Norwich City

RGB76 11:57 26 Oct 2010

Argos in St Stephens or The Mall has a decent External Seagate Hard Drive 500GB for £49-99
I bought one some time ago and it`s working just fine.

Jollyjohn 13:39 26 Oct 2010

Just to add to your options I would look for a NAS Network attached storage drive - very similar in price but the advantage is that the nas device plugs into your router and is available to any computer on your network.
An external hard drive would be attached to a computer and either you need that computer switched on to access the drive or you physically move the drive.
click here is an eBuyer page listing NAS devices

john bunyan 15:54 26 Oct 2010

When you buy your new w7 PC, I would ensure all your data ("My Documents" ) is copied to the external drive - also Favourites etc. Do read up on e Mail as W7 does not use Outlook Express. I use Freefilesynch to update a back up of all my music, photos etc on a regular basis, quite apart from an ATI image. Your actual programmes will have to be installed from original discs, but ones you have downloaded as such could be copied to the external hd and then to the new PC.
Most of the brands are OK - I have a preference for Iomega.
Then you can just reverse synch the "My Documents" to the new PC. I chose to partition my new one before doing so such that I have 100 gig for programmes and balance for data; the "My Documents" was copied into the data partition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?