What to buy

Pops99 21:05 27 Sep 2013

Hi, I would like to write a book and am not sure what PC to buy to write it on, possibly as a word document. I would like something smaller than a normal laptop that's easy to travel with and that I can print easily off. Not sure if I should buy a notebook or netbook, not sure how much storage space I should be looking at, if I'm honest I don't know where to start and could really use some advice?

rdave13 21:39 27 Sep 2013

For ease of use I'd recommend a screen more than 10" of size as you would be staring at it. Look for laptops with screen size of about 11" and above.

Then you would need software and as you would need it to be a 'word' document, then hunt for freebies that will allow compatibility.

Use a search engine for your requirements is the best advice I can give.

Pops99 21:46 27 Sep 2013

Thanks rdave13, but netbook or notebook, I am being pointed towards both so am now confused.

Woolwell 22:16 27 Sep 2013

Personally I would go for a laptop/ultrabook. There are models out there with 11 inch screens or slightly larger, with a good processor, etc. However I wouldn't want to write a book on such a small screen. Recently I had to do a lot of desktop publishing on a 11.6" laptop instead of my normal desktop with 22" monitor. It was just satisfactory but not something I would want to do long term. However you want portability and therefore you may well want to consider and ultrabook but lightness comes at a price.

rdave13 22:31 27 Sep 2013

Can't get any cheaper than this one, but only one usb 3 port.

Battery life 5 hours, supposed to be.

Have a search around for a better deal.

lotvic 22:47 27 Sep 2013

I think a lot depends on the type of keyboard you are familiar and comfortable with, as you will be doing a lot of typing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:53 28 Sep 2013

Every modern PC is powerful enough for your needs

however if you are going to spend a lot of time typing a full size responsive keyboard and good size screen is essential.

for that i would not recommend any small laptop/netbook but think you really ned to do it at a desktop PC.

Woolwell 14:35 28 Sep 2013

lotvic and Fruit Bat make a very valid point about the keyboard. Small screen often equates to smaller cramped keyboard.

Pops99 19:21 28 Sep 2013

Thanks to all for your advice, very much appreciated. I think I am going tog with rdave13's suggestion, 14 inch screen laptop seems to suit.

Thank you once again to everybody.

Thank you to all for your very helpful advice.

Thank you to all for your very helpful advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)