What Broadband Provider?

sean-278262 21:26 09 Aug 2006

Hi all. I have a little question I need help with. Following my question the other night about getting a phoneline installed in which I also asked for providers suggestions I am now after advice in a main thread regarding providers.

There are 5 computers going to be in use all the time. I have intentions of getting a wireless router. Or rather I am getting one for ease of passing the signal about.

Basically the limits are
- Must be under £50 incuding VAT and any modems or other rubbish that are required.
- Must be a fast connection
- Bandwidth needs to be plentiful (unlimited prefered)
- No extreem throttling after 6pm as thats when it will be in most use for assignments.
- contract not lasting more than 9months.

I assume all thats involved for wireless is

Broadband modem --->Wireless router ~~~>Wireless laptop and PC cards.

click here

That is the wireless unit I am looking at. Is that all I will need bar PCI cards?

sean-278262 21:40 09 Aug 2006

Also I forgot to mention, We are still awaiting connection to find out telephone number out but the post code is TS13HY,

For those who like in the last thread forgot what the post office does all day ;). That is Victoria Road, Teesside, Middlesbrough. And for those unsure where that is, it's a little spec in the North East of England south of Newcastle.

kimjhon 01:42 10 Aug 2006

I think you need a wireless broadband modem that plugs into the ethernet port. A USB modem wont do. The ISP may provide /sell one. It may be cheaper to buy a router with a built-in wireless modem. Then you just plug the router into the ethernet port.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?