What is the best way to clean a TFT screen?

Legolas 10:31 06 Nov 2003

Same as the title

What is the best way to clean a TFT screen?

MAJ 10:38 06 Nov 2003

I've only got mine about a week or so, Legolas, so I just give it a little light dust-over with a clean cloth, but it will be interesting to know how to clean it properly.

plankton 10:49 06 Nov 2003

I've had mine a year, and do the same thing....

Cesar 11:36 06 Nov 2003

There are two ways to clean a TFT screen, 1. a weak solution of washing up liquid in warm water or a proprietory brand. Use a Paper towel and press very lightly on the screen, then finish of with a clean paper towel. In all circumstances make sure your computer is disconnected from the mains. If you clean your screen and keep a clean duster every day when you have finished with your computer wipe the sceen with your clean duster and it should not require a proper clean for months.

Djohn 13:00 06 Nov 2003

As Cesar says, but use a soft cotton cloth and not Paper towel. Paper is too harsh and may scratch the coating over a period of time.

Clean with hardly any pressure at all, just a gentle wipe over the screen with the monitor turned off. An old T shirt cut into small pieces is ideal for this.

I have not had to clean mine yet, but have done so with my Son's Laptop several times and the above method works fine. j.

Legolas 21:32 06 Nov 2003

Thanks for the above suggestions, the answer to my query seems to be 'very gently'

Eastender 22:53 06 Nov 2003
  woodchip 23:02 06 Nov 2003

Paper towel scratched my scratch resistant glasses, so much that I got new lenses for free as they did not warn me. And that?s a lot harder plastic than your TFT screen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?