What is the best deal

johnanthony 12:59 11 Jun 2007

I want to purchase a new desktop. I have read the reviews in the mag and have trawled through Dell, Evesham and Mesh web sites. They all offer something good but all have some disadvantages.

I am tempted to go for the Mesh elite inspire S with an upgraded processor. I can get this for just under £600 which seems good value.
We make general use of our computer, docs and publishing plus web browsing and emails. Our old one "creeks" when its doing a virus scan and misses a beat when we try to look at video clips.
I want it delivered to my home in Southern Spain. I would carry it as hand luggage but the security checks at the airports are now so tight.

Any advice from experience would be welcome.
Thanks

Quiet Life 15:10 11 Jun 2007

Think of the problems if it goes wrong.
Aldi, Lidl sell pretty good computers with good service.
Problem is operating system but some laptops in Portugal are being sold with Vista in Spanish, Portuguese,English . Language to be chosen at first set up.
I have run XP in Portuguese for over a year now with no language problems despite having little knowledge of Portuguese. HP have a good range of machines as well and are well built and reliable.
Guarantee may be better in Spain than Mesh uK

johnanthony 10:46 14 Jun 2007

Thanks for your input "quiet Life" sounds as if you are the only one to commit a comment on what is a good deal. Perhaps the question is - What can I get for £600 that has enough power and bells and whistles to keep me going for another 3 / 4 years?

Thanks for the thought of HP I hadn't thought of them. I'm still dithering but then that's what twerlies do.
Cheers

johnnyrocker 10:49 14 Jun 2007

for mesh try a forum search.

johnny

johnanthony 20:57 15 Jun 2007

Thanks for the input Johnny.

I have thought it through and have decided to buy locally here in Spain. Its an English speaking company who build to order. I am getting a very similar spec to the Mesh and Dell offers for about the same price. They will also install XP SP2 which is what I really wanted. I have of course paid by credit card and will be able to try before taking final delivery. They will a;so transfer my existing hard drive as a slave so that I lose nothing.
So thanks again both. I should be set for the next year or two.
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?