What is the "best avaliable" Socket A motherboard?

BeForU 06:19 11 Nov 2006

Hello. I am currently using a MSI KT4V MS-6712 with a AMD Barton 2800XP CPU. Lately I feel this motherboard has been giving me some wierd problems (Unable to boot, crashing, strange power surges), seeing and as it has been around 3 years now, so I am wondering if possible, what is currently the "best" and "avaliable" Socket A motherboard?

I don't have alot of money to do a full upgrade to the latest technologies etc and this good ol' thing is already adequate enough for the things that I do, and so would like to extend it's lifetime with a new replacement. May even need to get a new PSU too.

So could any hardware junkies offer me suggestions as to what avaliable models/brands of Socket A motherboards to get please?

jbaker65 09:42 11 Nov 2006

I'm using an Asrock K7S41 which seems to be OK.

ed-0 10:00 11 Nov 2006

the asrock is probably the best and the only new one around.

click here
click here
click here
click here

Stuartli 11:19 11 Nov 2006

I have an MSI KT6V LSR (LAN, Sata and Raid) board which I use with an AMD XP Athlon 3200+.

You will probably be able to pick up this motherboard for around £20 or so on e-Bay - it's proved very reliable in my case and I acquired it secondhand.

Danoh 11:37 11 Nov 2006

Stuartli; I'd always been concerned that 2d hand kit might have unknown issues which can't be easily diagnosed. Have you found that to be the case, as like BeForU I'm considering getting upgrades for older PCs?

hzhzhzhz 11:50 11 Nov 2006

Asrock K7S41GX.

Stuartli 12:19 11 Nov 2006

One of my offspring obtained the KT6V from a work colleague along with the CPU and DDR memory for me and all have proved trouble free over the past six months or so; the equipment was about 18 months to two years old and was perfect for my requirements.

The only reason it became available was because the seller was upgrading.

Normally I buy new but had no qualms about buying these particular items.

By the way do you use XP?

If so and you fit a new motherboard, immediately undertake an XP Repair after setting the Bios to boot from CD (i.e. your XP disk in this case) - sometimes XP doesn't take to a new mobo. Details on an XP Repair at:

click here

Do a backup of important stuff beforehand but normally an XP Repair retains all your programs, applications, configuration etc.

Danoh 08:21 13 Nov 2006

Thx Stuartli ~ so it wasn't sourced from a stranger :-)
Yes I do use XP and that's a great tip on XP Repair!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?