What are torrents

Koochy 22:54 05 Oct 2006

Hi all, can anybody explain what torrents are please? The reason i ask is my brother has been given a web address to download music from but when i have had a look at the site it keeps going on about torrents, also can you tell me if it is illegal to download from these sites and are they prone to malware/adware, viruses or the like as i had never even heard of them before today

Thanks

Koochy

Koochy 23:30 05 Oct 2006

Okay i have just found a few sites that explain what they are but they don't explain the legality of them.
Can anybody help please.

Koochy

Totally-braindead 23:34 05 Oct 2006

Could you perhaps give a couple of examples of the websites you are querying.

Koochy 23:38 05 Oct 2006

Hi Totally-braindead This is one click here and this is the other click here But i am not sure of what these entail.

Koochy

Totally-braindead 23:44 05 Oct 2006

Ok basically they are P2P sites and the answer is the sites themselves are legal but if you use them to download copyright material that is illegal.
Basically they are legal if you only use them to download non copyright material, but lets face it most people don't use it for that, they use it to download copyright music or movies and that is illegal.

johnnyrocker 23:44 05 Oct 2006

i would not class eithe site as very celubrious and full of mal/spyware i suspect

jjohnny.

Koochy 23:48 05 Oct 2006

Thanks for that Totally-braindead and johnyrocker. So i think what you're saying here is stay well clear i will explain all to him tomorrow when i get home i thought it was too good to be true "free music".

Thanks again

Koochy

Totally-braindead 23:50 05 Oct 2006

There are legal download sites for music but you do have to pay. An example of this would be itunes or even the likes of Tescos click here Woolworths also have a music download site as do many other stores.

Oh forgot the other part of your question. Putting aside whether the downloads are legal are not you have no idea at all what you are downloading as what you are basically doing is downloading from other peoples computers. It might say the file is Madonna - True Blue for example but when you download it you may find its something completely different. It might even have viruses in it, its the chance you take.

Totally-braindead 23:53 05 Oct 2006

You can get legal free downloads for music. I can't provide any links but I'm sure others can.

Music which is free is either past copyright ie old or there is some music you can get which hasen't been made subject to copyright in the first place.

You can't get the latest chart music for free, at least not legally.

Koochy 23:58 05 Oct 2006

Thanks for all the help Totally-braindead I will be advising him of his ways tomorrow. I suppose it is as the old saying goes "if its too good to be true it probably is"
I will mark this thread as resolved.

Thanks again

Koochy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?