What are these files SVCHOST.exe and NTOSKRNL.exe

Yourhelppls 15:11 10 Jan 2007

My firewall kept highlighting these files at varying times requesting access from/to my PC for files and web address which are unfamiliar, at odd times, and bear no relations to the task I am doing. Are these Microsoft Windows files? can they be hijacked by malware? Can my XP system continue to run if I deny access?

I have an Evesham system and of the last 4 months the system simply reboots itself. A few times it said Page fault in non paged area but that only came up about 3 times and not recently.

Can anyone help?

Jackcoms 15:18 10 Jan 2007

SVCHOST MAY be a Trojan, Not sure about NTOSKRNL. Have a look at click here

VoG II 15:19 10 Jan 2007
  Stuartli 15:20 10 Jan 2007

See:

click here

and

click here

for information purposes.

Stuartli 15:21 10 Jan 2007

VoG™ is working on similar lines..:-)

Stuartli 15:26 10 Jan 2007

Also see Black Viper's comments on svchost.exe near the end of this link:

click here

Yourhelppls 16:25 15 Jan 2007

Thanks for all your replies ...

I have a Windows Xp system 2.8 mhz with M/S Sp2 software package, I had Sygate firewall, AVG anti-virus, AOL antivirus to name a few, how is it possble I can be infected by these things? How can I determine whether I have an infestation and is there a utility that I can run that will confirm the trojans and remove them also.

VoG II 16:26 15 Jan 2007

Try a-squared click here

Yourhelppls 16:46 17 Jan 2007

Hi VOG, I will try A-Squared software. If that does not throw up anything I will try to get the Win Tasks 5 pro software. Funny thing also, when the system kept crashing, windows would do some error reporting but any attempt to transmit the report errored wit this message:
http:/oca.microsoft.com/resredir.asp?sid=10&bucket=oxa-hsf-cnxt%2b7b432&state=1&id=9ca7cbb3-9c50-42e9 .....
so something is not quite right. Thanks for your help.

Taurus 17:50 17 Jan 2007

Can't remember diddly! No sorry, not me, my computer. I think a may have a problem with one of the two memory sticks in my machine. My question is: Would Belarc Advisor highlight the problem if it existed? Currently it is describing the memory as being the size it should be.
Thanks
Dave

Taurus 17:51 17 Jan 2007

Sorry, posted in the wrong page D'oh

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017