What are .lnk files,and is there a cure?

allang 09:14 30 Dec 2003

Re my previous posting "System restore is eating my hard disc".Thanx to those who have helped so far.To cut a very long story short,I'm getting a lot of system restarts which creates umpteen folders and files.Following the advice of you guys out there,I can get to a stage where I can use my laptop with no problems.Then for no reason it restarts and off I go again,which seems to suggest there are still problems with some files.
Am I deleting link files when I get rid of my .chk files as I often see "file xyz cross-linked to sector xxx" during file checking.Are there any progs that will completely check my files,and are diagnostic tools such as "PCDOCRX" & "PC Bug Doctor" worth the money?Any advice for an old man getting older by the hour?

alB 09:38 30 Dec 2003

This article from MS knowledge base may be of help, click here ...alB

allang 10:57 30 Dec 2003

Thanx.Methinx we're getting somewhere.Does XP CHKDSK not repair the FAT.If not can you suggest any progs that can?

alB 15:29 30 Dec 2003

I'm not familiar with XP but a search on Google for XP CHKDSK throws up quite a few hits that could help, sorting out cross linked files in w98 seems straight forward with scandisk, lets hope somebody can help more as the day wears on...alB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?