What are hubs on the Internet

Ghazzy 19:45 08 Dec 2003

What are hubs on the Internet and how many major hubs areb there on the internet

spikeychris 19:56 08 Dec 2003

Might want to rephrase that.

Hub >> A concentrator that joins multiple clients by means of a single link to the rest of the LAN. A hub has several ports to which clients are connected directly, and one or more ports that can be used to connect the hub to the backbone or to other active network components. A hub functions as a multiport repeater; signals received on any port are immediately retransmitted to all other ports of the hub. Hubs function at the physical layer of the OSI Reference Model.

LeadingMNMs 20:19 08 Dec 2003

Or a hub is a device that allows data to be distributed around a network.

Ghazzy 16:56 10 Dec 2003

How many major hubs are there on the internet

Stuartli 17:19 10 Dec 2003

It would be almost impossible to ascertain just how many hubs there are worldwide - just be thankful that it alls works amazingly well for most of the time...:-)

You can imagine a hub as being like a bicycle wheel with all the spokes going out from the wheel hub to the rim.

Forum Editor 18:25 10 Dec 2003

are all different names for hardware that do similar things - they enable the different components of a network to communicate with each other in the most efficient way possible. You can think of the Internet as a vast conglomeration of network segments - all connected together by hubs, switches, and routers.

A hub is a central connecting device in a network that joins communications lines together in a star configuration. Passive hubs are just connecting units that add nothing to the data passing through them. Active hubs, also sometimes called multiport repeaters, regenerate the data bits in order to maintain a strong signal, and intelligent hubs provide added functionality.

Some of these routers and hubs are more important than others - they are main intersection points - and they handle vast quantities of data. A big Cisco router can handle over a quarter of a million data packets every second, and it's the routers which decide on the best way to get a packet of data from point A to point B in the shortest time. If a router in say, Leicester 'sees' a packet of data coming from Belfast bound for Paris it might decide to send it via London, or, if the London router is busy, via Vienna. The routers are the Internet's most important and complex traffic management devices. The way it works is an absolute miracle of technology. I regularly send data to a client's location in Singapore, and over a long period I have come to know that it will take around six to eight seconds to make the trip.

How many hubs are there? I don't know, and I doubt that anyone does. For me it's enough that it all works - and it does so very well most of the time.

Forum Editor 18:36 10 Dec 2003

My client's Cisco office router handles a quarter of a million data packets a second - the Cisco routers on the Internet backbone are made of sterner stuff - they'll handle over 50 million packets a second.

It's been a long day, and I'm far from home. Just the Cisco router for company.

Ghazzy 16:38 15 Dec 2003

Is there a theoretical limit on the number of Virtual Directories(Aliases)one can create in a server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?